Naturalization Records in NY City

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Jan2010

Naturalization Records in NY City

Post by Jan2010 »

I am quite new to researching Naturalization Records for my ancestors and am hoping someone can give me some direction.

On Ancestry.com, I have found an entry for my GGF in the NY County Supreme Court Naturalization Petition Index, 1907-24. I am quite certain it is correct as the address associated with the name is accurate. The Index indicates this:
Name: Eugenio Marino
Address: 231 E. 117th St.
Date: 09 Apr 1918
Volume #: 297
Page #: 240

I only have access to Ancestry.com on site at my local library and will not be able to get there soon. So my questions are ---

What is my next step?

Ancestry.com tells me the Index is to records from the NY County Clerk's Office. Do I have enough information to just mail the above information (I also have DOB and spouse and kids for him on that date) to them, including the Volume and Page #?

Will they know what those refer to and will it enable them to find the Petition for Naturalization Packet?

If so, how much $ should I send and is a personal check O.K.?

Is the correct address simply NY County Clerk, Room 161, so Centre St. NY NY 10007-1402 or is there more specific information I need to include in the address?

Is this the right direction to proceed in - or should I do something else?

Thanks for any guidance you can supply!
mler
Master
Master

Re: Naturalization Records in NY City

Post by mler »

I believe those records are kept with NARA, and you do have sufficient information.

http://www.archives.gov/northeast/nyc/f ... tml#copies

If these are for jure sanguinis purposes, you will need certified copies (a higher fee).
Jan2010

Post by Jan2010 »

Thank you for the pointer to this NARA website - it is exactly what I needed. It looks like the specific records I want will have to be requested from NY County's Old Records & Archival Materials Office [due to the date (1918) of the Naturalization Petition].

Thanks again for the quick reply!
elecar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by elecar »

What type of information does the Naturalization records provide?
Jan2010

Post by Jan2010 »

To be honest, I'm not 100% certain regarding all of what it on them but among other things I am hoping to find the specific place my GGF came from (not just Italy), perhaps his trade, the port he traveled from and to, maybe the ship he travelled on.... I think it depends to some degree on when and where the form was completed.

There's an introductory description online at
http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/natur ... ation.html
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

elecar wrote:What type of information does the Naturalization records provide?

Depends somewhat on the date as different forms were used over the years. For the time period most of us are interested in, a good example can be found here http://stephendanko.com/blog/index.php/archives/489 and also here http://stephendanko.com/blog/index.php/archives/411 (be sure to click the images for a larger view).

Note the following: due to their interpretation of relevant laws, copies ordered directly from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) are now "redacted" to blacken out personal details of persons other than the subject. This means that the birthdates of spouse and children, along with some other details, are not visible on USCIS copies but - to the best of my knowledge - are still visible on NARA and other archival copies.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
elecar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by elecar »

johnnyonthespot wrote:
elecar wrote:What type of information does the Naturalization records provide?

Depends somewhat on the date as different forms were used over the years. For the time period most of us are interested in, a good example can be found here http://stephendanko.com/blog/index.php/archives/489 and also here http://stephendanko.com/blog/index.php/archives/411 (be sure to click the images for a larger view).

Note the following: due to their interpretation of relevant laws, copies ordered directly from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) are now "redacted" to blacken out personal details of persons other than the subject. This means that the birthdates of spouse and children, along with some other details, are not visible on USCIS copies but - to the best of my knowledge - are still visible on NARA and other archival copies.
Thank you for responding to my question.
elecar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by elecar »

johnnyonthe spot:
I looked at the examples you referred to on stephendanko's blog/archives.
The Declaration of Intention cross references the Certificate of Arrival.

Was a Certificate of Arrival issued to every immigrant when they arrived? Some of the immigrants went back and forth to Europe a number of times, would a new certificate have been issued every time they entered America?

How would I find, or where would I find the Certificate of Arrival. I have 2a grandparent who I cannot find when she came or which port she arrived at.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

elecar wrote:johnnyonthe spot:
I looked at the examples you referred to on stephendanko's blog/archives.
The Declaration of Intention cross references the Certificate of Arrival.

Was a Certificate of Arrival issued to every immigrant when they arrived? Some of the immigrants went back and forth to Europe a number of times, would a new certificate have been issued every time they entered America?

How would I find, or where would I find the Certificate of Arrival. I have 2a grandparent who I cannot find when she came or which port she arrived at.
The subject of Certificates of Arrival is covered in this thread http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/view ... rt=41.html

If a certificate of arrival was issued, you can expect to receive a copy along with the other naturalization documents.

For those that made more than one trip to the US (my paternal grandfather came over at age 17 and again at age 24, for example), it is my understanding that the arrival which "counts" for Declaration of Intent purposes is the most recent arrival at the time the declaration is filed. In my grandfather's case, that was in 1910 at the age of 24.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
elecar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by elecar »

johnnyonthespot:

Thank you for your response. This answers my questions.