Also need help reading Birth Record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
elecar
Rookie
Rookie

Also need help reading Birth Record

Post by elecar »

Can someone look at the Pilot.Family Search for me?
Sicily
Bisacquino Baptisms 1840-1843 Image 125 of 132
Left side, Record 294 Name Xaverie ( do not know what is written under it)

Is the 5th line the names of the parents or Godparents? This record looks the same as the one below it but not like the two bottom records.

I am looking for the birth record for Xaveria Tamburello. Her second son's name was Michael and second (I think daughter) was name Josepha.

Any help would be appreciated.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Also need help reading Birth Record

Post by maestra36 »

Only the godmother's name is given, as far as I can tell. Her first name was Michaela, the wife of Ioannis (which would be John), D'Ambrogio. I see that today that last name is just Ambrogio in the town. On the line before her name is the word Matrina. There was no godfather. This child may be of unknown parentage, as I see there are parents' names in record #296.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I believe the words in the document "ex incertis parentibus" mean from unknown parents.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Technically the word incertis means uncertain. So the child is of uncertain parentage, which amounts to the same thing as the parents not being known and that is why they are not named in the record.
elecar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by elecar »

Maestra36:
I kind of thought this was the case.
Thank you so much for looking at this. I appreciate it.