Italian immigration into Chicago early 1900s and Clark St.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jeffyjoe44

Italian immigration into Chicago early 1900s and Clark St.

Post by jeffyjoe44 »

My family appears to have all come here, brothers, cousins and etc to 418 and 420 Clark street in Chicago. I have noticed that there are several others who may or may not be related to them also listing this as their destination on the manifests. I know what the location is now. Was this some sort of main destination site for some Italians. My family came from Calascibetta. Also anyone familiar with locating records out of Calascibetta. We've done the rent the film thing and have had some luck. We are looking for information on the Chiaese Managanaro family (Giuseppe, Peter, Paul, Euphenia) and the Sodora family (jennie/joana and Gaetano)
cfbandit

Re: Italian immigration into Chicago early 1900s and Clark S

Post by cfbandit »

Does it give any indication of North or South Clark? Either are outside of the typical areas where Italians settled in Chicago.

My guess is that its some sort of boardinghouse that people were first steered into when they got to Chicago. Perhaps they were going to be stockyard workers and that was a clearinghouse? That would be another good guess.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Jeffyjoe http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... earch.html

This 7 page of information will get you on your way. If you need answers then get back to us. =Peter=
~Peter~
jeffyjoe44

Post by jeffyjoe44 »

It's South Clark, and actually, that was before the street renumbering in the loop @ 1911. My best guess is that Joe Renzino and his brother owned a steamship business, and a grocery store at 418-420 So. Clark. I am guessing tickets were purchased in Chicago by Italians who had come here, and then sent back to relatives making the journey. That address, which only shows up in manifest and not on any other documents, was probably listed on the ticket.
jencoffeelover

Post by jencoffeelover »

I have several Italians who settled in the same area 416 S. Clark and 327 S. Clark area (a house, not a huge boarding house). In fact, I was just looking at the 1910 Census, page by page for that area. I'll go look again and see if I can tell you what building it was. There were a few "hotels" in that area then.
jencoffeelover

Post by jencoffeelover »

In the 1910 Census, Ward 1, ED 148 (On Ancestry.com sheets 22-23) show 418-420 S. Clark. I don't see Renzino listed for any of the heads of households, but they are houses with multiple flats. Perhaps they lived there in 1911 but not 1910?

jeffyjoe44 wrote:It's South Clark, and actually, that was before the street renumbering in the loop @ 1911. My best guess is that Joe Renzino and his brother owned a steamship business, and a grocery store at 418-420 So. Clark. I am guessing tickets were purchased in Chicago by Italians who had come here, and then sent back to relatives making the journey. That address, which only shows up in manifest and not on any other documents, was probably listed on the ticket.