Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Auburn0508
Rookie
Rookie

Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by Auburn0508 »

I am seeking information relating to my maternal ancestors. My grandmother and grandfather moved to Australia in the early 1950s from Trieste, Italy. My mother was born here in Australia, as was I.

The only names I have to go on are as follows:

* Lucilla Guglielmini (nee Stefanovich)(grandmother)
* Guiseppe Guglielmini (great/grandfather)
* Rosalia Stefanovich (great-grandmother)
* Joseph Stefanovich (great-grandfather)

My mother's father was born in Spoletto, in the province of Dalmatia, Jugoslavia. Although I'm not too sure what the region is called now... :)
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by ptimber »

Have you gone thru Oz archives in canberra where all inward passenger manifests Form p2 are found. Send e-mail to ref@naa.gov.au for their entry into Oz from trieste, Italy.Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Have you gone thru Oz archives in canberra where all inward passenger manifests Form p2 are found. Send e-mail to ref@naa.gov.au for their entry into Oz from trieste, Italy.Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There seems tyo be a problem with locating a town or city called SPOLETTO in Dalmatia or Slovenia. Are you sure of the spelling or the name of the town?? Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

perhaps is SPALATO (Split ) in Dalmazia Croazia...
suanj
Auburn0508
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Auburn0508 »

My apologies for some of the earlier info - I didn't have the data in front of me. I do now... :oops:

According to his naturalisation papers (which my mother attained), Giuseppe Guglielmini was born in Spalato, Italy on 20th August 1928. He died under the anglicised name of Joseph John Williams, on March 2 1977. According to the death certificate, his father's name is Rudolfo Guglielmini and mother's name (maiden) was Catherine Beric. The trouble here is that the death certificate lists the birth location as Spolito, Jugoslavia.
My error previously was that Giuseppe was my great-grandfather - he was in fact my mother's father.

Lucilla Stefanovich was born at Villa Decani, Italy on 12 October 1928. Her parents were Rosalia & Gianpolo Stefanovich (I do not know Rosalia's maiden name).

Of all the info I have, this is pretty much it. I'd like to try and trace the Stefanovich & Guglielmini lines as far back as I can, and also try to track down any living descendents. I do not know if Giuseppe had any siblings, but do know that Lucilla had two sisters - only known to my mother as Aunt Nellie and Aunt Anna.

Oh - one more small detail. The naturalisation certificates were signed in 1959, with the "Alien Registration certificate" dates in early June 1954.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Villa decani and Spalato could be Villa di cassano and Spalletti in the province of Bologna. The towns that you mention are not readily discernible. Please advise if this might be the correct spelling. peter
Auburn0508
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Auburn0508 »

I'm not too sure which province they are in now...

Was browsing through some other sites through Google, typing in search keys such as "Villa Decani" and "Spoletto". I think I understand why I'm having so much trouble...

One of the maps illustrated Villa Decani as being in the town of Dekani, Slovenia. Subsequent research (on different sites) has shown that Villa Decani was a church of the Dekani area, even as early as 1914.

My theory is that the un/official borders of Slovenia and Italy have been disputed in some cases over time, even if it was just by the locals or historians. Which is why I've found the same two locations in each of the two different countries... and why there may be little info on them on this site, but plenty of the "Italian" towns on other sites.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Auburn0508 wrote:My apologies for some of the earlier info - I didn't have the data in front of me. I do now... :oops:

According to his naturalisation papers (which my mother attained), Giuseppe Guglielmini was born in Spalato, Italy on 20th August 1928. He died under the anglicised name of Joseph John Williams, on March 2 1977. According to the death certificate, his father's name is Rudolfo Guglielmini and mother's name (maiden) was Catherine Beric. The trouble here is that the death certificate lists the birth location as Spolito, Jugoslavia.
My error previously was that Giuseppe was my great-grandfather - he was in fact my mother's father.

Lucilla Stefanovich was born at Villa Decani, Italy on 12 October 1928. Her parents were Rosalia & Gianpolo Stefanovich (I do not know Rosalia's maiden name).

Of all the info I have, this is pretty much it. I'd like to try and trace the Stefanovich & Guglielmini lines as far back as I can, and also try to track down any living descendents. I do not know if Giuseppe had any siblings, but do know that Lucilla had two sisters - only known to my mother as Aunt Nellie and Aunt Anna.

Oh - one more small detail. The naturalisation certificates were signed in 1959, with the "Alien Registration certificate" dates in early June 1954.
Hi the towns sure are : Villa Decani (Istria area) and Spalato (was Dalmatia area; this town currently are in Croatia for new border- after end of Jugoslavia republic-) ...this areas are changed the borders and Country in the History...

-Villa Decani/Dekani (Pola province/Istria) was in an area called "zona B" (ex-Trieste free-land) and in Jugoslavia land from 10 Nov 1975..

-Spalato/Split from 1882 in Dalmatia/croatia, but in this town was many italian families; in 1900 census was 7 italian families in Spalato..
In WWI° all borders of this area( Istria/Dalmatia/Croatia) was changed newly..
here are all ex-italian towns :
http://www.google.it/search?q=cache:PvY ... lato&hl=it
For all your questions, you can write in Villa Decani common and Spalato common and/or, for some guide/infos/addresses city hall/assistence for italian citizenship and more, to "Consolato Italiano Spalato": consitalsplit@st.tel.hr
Consolato d'Italia Spalato
Obala HNP 10/3 -
21000 Spalato, Dalmazia (Croazia)

tel. +385 021 348155 - fax +385 021.361268
-----------

regards, suanj
Auburn0508
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Auburn0508 »

Are you sure that e-mail link to the Consulate was correct? I tried to send a message, and it bounced.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Auburn0508 wrote:Are you sure that e-mail link to the Consulate was correct? I tried to send a message, and it bounced.
the mailto is no correct, please:
http://www.consolatospalato.org/
consitalsplit@st.htnet.hr
Merry Christmas!
suanj
Auburn0508
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Auburn0508 »

Merry Christmas to you, too. :D

Man, I can't believe how hard it was to write that e-mail. I think I got most of the relevant information in, but it felt like I was babbling on in some areas... they must get letters like that all the time, though. *lol*

Will let you know what happens. I've actually sent the same request & information to two separate agencies, so hopefully I'll hear something soon. Doubt I'll find out before tomorrow lunchtime... so it'll be about 2 weeks from today at the earliest. The company I work for closes at noon tomorrow, and doesn't resume until January 4th.

It's going to be a nerve-racking holiday... :?

Best of wishes and luck to everyone else - I hope you all find what you're looking for as a special Christmas/New Year gift. 8)
Auburn0508
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Consolato d'Italia Spalato

Post by Auburn0508 »

Hey everyone!! Hope you had a great Christmas...

No, I haven't heard back from the Consolato yet. But it did give me a few ideas on other possible research connections.

I'm sure you've heard this before, but my question is this - what is the most reliable source of translation from English to Italian, and how do I/ where can I access it? I don't speak a work of Italian, so manual translation is out of the question...

I know it's going to cost a fair bit, but I might send the next lot of enquiries by overseas post. A letter might be more personal than a short e-mail... :lol:
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Go to www.freetranslation.com. They give you 1800 free words of translation and seem to be reasonable in their translation rates. Peter
dabo

Re: Consolato d'Italia Spalato

Post by dabo »

Hi,

Dekani is a small town (1500 inhabitants) in Slovenia. The italian name for the place is Villa Decani. There is a family living in this town with the name Stefanovich. Maybe they are your relatives.

Dabo