Records on LaMendola

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MikeDeAngelis

Records on LaMendola

Post by MikeDeAngelis »

I know records for LaMendola have been asked for hundreds of times (probably), but this is the information I have:

Anne LaMendola (married: Bohrer) was born in Louisiana,
but her parents came to America through Ellis island about 1899 or 1900. Her parents (americanized) names were Joseph (maybe Giuseppe) and Lucy(Lucia?). Around 1927 Joseph and Lucy returned to Italy in Palermo where they died some years later.

What I'm looking for is their birth records, death records and perhaps parents of them.

Thanks,
Mike De Angelis
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Records on LaMendola

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Are you certain about EllisIsland? Not all of our ancestors came through that port...

On May 19, 1904, Lucia Solito arrived in New Orleans to join her husband Giuseppe LaMendola. It is not entirely clear, but I believe her "Last Residence" is given as Comune di Alia, Provincia di Palermo, Regione di Sicilia; this may or may not be her place of birth as well.

New Orleans Passenger Lists, 1820-1945 about Lucio Solito
Name: Lucio Solito
Arrival Date: 12 May 1904
Ethnic Background: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Ship Name: Manilla
Port of Arrival: New Orleans, Louisiana
Friend's Name: Giuseppe Lamendola
Last Residence: Italy
National Archives' Series Number: T905_3

Manifest (line 20): http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... Solito.jpg

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

If we agree that this is the correct Lucia, you could try writing to Alia and request her birth and marriage certificates.

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Alia
Via Regina Elena n.1
90021 Alia PA
ITALY

There is a link on their web site ( http://www.comune.alia.pa.it/ ) labeled "Certificati On-Lline" (it's on the right, in green). Click that link to open a webform and send a message.

Tips on writing letters in Italian:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tter3.html
http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=15162/
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Did Giuseppe have a brother named Salvatore?

Possible manifest:

New Orleans Passenger Lists, 1820-1945 about Giuseppe Lamendola
Name: Giuseppe Lamendola
Arrival Date: 14 May 1903
Ethnic Background: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Ship Name: Manilla
Port of Arrival: New Orleans, Louisiana
Friend's Name: Salvatore Lamendola
Last Residence: Alia
National Archives' Series Number: T905_1

Note: Giuseppe is listed as Married and also from Alia; very likely Lucia's (previous post) husband.

Manifest (line 19): http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... endola.jpg

Carmine

MikeDeAngelis

Post by MikeDeAngelis »

This information is very helpful. Also, when we talked to Anne when she was still living, she was regretful to give information of the family history as her father committed suicide when he was relatively young, explaining the obscurity of our family knowledge. They also settled in New Orleans area, she had said briefly they moved there, but the ship to New Orleans makes sense.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

MikeDeAngelis wrote:This information is very helpful. Also, when we talked to Anne when she was still living, she was regretful to give information of the family history as her father committed suicide when he was relatively young, explaining the obscurity of our family knowledge. They also settled in New Orleans area, she had said briefly they moved there, but the ship to New Orleans makes sense.
Some approximate ages would be helpful to ensure that we are looking at the correct people.

If Giuseppe was born in 1873 (aged 30 on 1903 manifest), and returned to Italy in 1927, that would make him a minimum of 54 years old; do I understand correctly that it was Giuseppe who "committed suicide when he was relatively young"? Do you think these numbers work out?

Any thoughts as to when Anne was born?

I have tried to find a 1910 or 1920 Louisiana census but have been unsuccessful thus far.

It would be extremely useful for you to obtain a copy of Anne's birth certificate and/or social security application. Either should show her mother's full maiden name which could prove or disprove the Lucia Solito link. How to obtain a copy of deceased person's social security application: http://genealogy.about.com/od/online_re ... equest.htm
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Is this Anne perchance?

ANNE L D BOHRER
Born: 27 Jun 1905
Died: 01 Apr 2003 (age 97)
Place of death: 14621 (Rochester, Monroe, NY)
SS Card issued: New York
SS#: 071-14-5914
Carmine

MikeDeAngelis

Post by MikeDeAngelis »

Haha, I thought we were being efficient( my family) but you guys are amazing! That's Anne lamendola de Angelis bohrer, correct birthdate and everything.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

MikeDeAngelis wrote:Haha, I thought we were being efficient( my family) but you guys are amazing! That's Anne lamendola de Angelis bohrer, correct birthdate and everything.
Great! Now, if that social security application or birth certificate lists Anne's mother as Lucia Solito, the next step would be to write to Comune di Alia to get Lucia and Giuseppe's birth/marriage and possibly death certificates.
Carmine

MikeDeAngelis

Post by MikeDeAngelis »

Also, I made a mistake: Aniceto DeAngelis, her husband was the one that commited suicide, not her father. Is there a free way to obtain birth records in the united states? To confirm our records we found on his side as well
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Shame on me for not noticing that Lucia Solito was travelling with her 1 year old female child - perhaps someone with a better eye than me can make out her name.

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... achild.jpg

Carmine

MikeDeAngelis

Post by MikeDeAngelis »

It looks like Pal**trice(*=unkown), i don't know any italian names like that however.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I have a very strong feeling that this is the family's 1910 Louisiana census. The ages are correct for everyone as well as the immigration dates for Giuseppe, Lucia, and the older child. Italian names on censuses are often messed up...

1910 United States Federal Census about Solita Laminto
Name: Solita Laminto
Age in 1910: 33
Estimated birth year: abt 1877
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's name: Joseph
Home in 1910: Police Jury Ward 7, Assumption, Louisiana
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1904
Household Members: Name Age
Joseph Laminto 37
Solita Laminto 33
Toreta Laminto 7
Anita Laminto 5

Bottom of the sheet, starting 9th line from the bottom.
http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... us1910.jpg

Carmine

MikeDeAngelis

Post by MikeDeAngelis »

other possibilities:
Palladia
Palmazio
Palmira
Thanks so much for your help, everyone!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

MikeDeAngelis wrote:other possibilities:
Palladia
Palmazio
Palmira
Thanks so much for your help, everyone!
Excuse me, but "everyone" has been just me, so far... :)
Carmine