Translating Italian to Latin

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
cinderella

Translating Italian to Latin

Post by cinderella »

I have a family name of "Janello," which I found on some parish registries from the 1700's in Roccapalumba. This same family appears on some birth documents (on microfilm) as "Ianello." Does the "I" translate to "J" in Latin?
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Re: Translating Italian to Latin

Post by JamesBianco »

Absolutely it does, the J in Latin is the equivalent to the I in Italian. It can be a challange to figure out the corresponding Italian name to a latin one. For example in the church records I am working with there is this latin first name Hieronisma/Hieronima. Now one would think the somewhat common Geronima would be the Italian equivalent. But this isnt always the case, some of the women /men listed in the church records as Hieronima/o are called Girolama/o in the Italian civil records, while others are in fact Geronima. Bit confusing when you try to extract.
cinderella

Post by cinderella »

Thank you for your response. This helps me out tremendsouly. Are there any other letters, such as your "G" and "H" that I should be aware of when translating latin to Italian? Is there a publication that lists some of these translation challenges?
Thank you.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

When you can;t hold your breath any longer, please let me know and I can help you out. Peter
cinderella

Post by cinderella »

:D Thank you, Peter. Are there any other letters such as "G" and "H" that I should be aware of when translating Latin to Italian? I'm in the process of translating several parish registers from Roccapalumba that are in Latin. Are there publications available that might help?

Thank you!
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

WWW.italatin.com/latin.html is latin to english and vice cersa with certain free features for translation of words.phrasses and definitions. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

if you want italian then just translate english to italian and let me know how it works out. Peter
cinderella

Post by cinderella »

Thank you Peter! This will be a tremendous help!
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

AZZA NICE! Peter