Does any one know about San Cataldo Society

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
Normandie
Rookie
Rookie

Does any one know about San Cataldo Society

Post by Normandie »

I am trying to find out more about San Cataldo Society of New York City. Several deceased relatives belonged to it. I thought it might help knowing more about the Society and its history in tracing theses ancestors. They were from San Cataldo in Italy. Thanks.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Does any one know about San Cataldo Society

Post by maestra36 »

I found the following, but it seems the society was located in Pa and not in NY.

Societa San Cataldo was an Italian mutual aid society located in Dunmore, Pennsylvania.

http://www2.hsp.org/collections/balch%2 ... mcoll.html
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

From what I have read, at the turn of the century-early 1900s, there was some 2000 Italian mutual aid society groups in NYC. These were usually made up of people from the same town or province. They would help the immigrants who came from small rural towns to adjust to life in a big city-help them find jobs, housing. even learn English. These societies also held special events on weekends and gave financial support to families if there was an illness or death in the family.
Normandie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Normandie »

My cousin said her Mother belonged to this society in New York. They held a Mass once a year in the city. Will try to learn more. Thanks for information. N
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Wherever your immigrant ancestors settled in NYC (the particular section) would be the area in which to search for such a society. They would have probably settled where others from their town settled and that's where the society would have been located. Exactly where did they settle? that info may help those of us on this forum to help you locate more info about the society for you. In one book I have, The Madonna of 115th Street, the author only addresses the mutual aid societies which existed specifically in that section of Manhattan. I have another book which deals with Elizabeth Street in Manhattan and the references are only to the societies in that particular section of the city. So, you'll need to find a more general reference work which incorporates a discussion of the particular part of NYC in which your ancestors settled.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I found an article from the NY Times dated Oct 13, 1912 which talks about the Columbus Day Parade in NYC. It mentions various branches of the Sons of Italy who marched in the parade and listed San Cataldo as one of those branches. The word society, however, does not appear in the newspaper with the name of the branch. Each branch marched in the parade headed by a band, and each member carried either an American or Italian flag.

http://www.osia.org/

This is the link for the organization. I would contact the organization and see if they have any info on the San Cataldo branch, which is probably the society to which you are referring.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There is one other source of information that may contain information about the San Cataldo Society in NYC. ...www.tiscali.it and if you read italian put inthe title Societa San Cataldo in Nueva York,(NYC) and research this...=Peter=
~Peter~
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Peter
Good suggestion. I tried that with virgilio.it and didn't have luck. I have since read that the The Order of the Sons of Italy in America, which came into existence in 1905, became the largest national Italian American Organization, and that it grew so rapidly because it took in existing mutual aid societies. Since the San Cataldo branch is mentioned in the 1912 NY Times Article, I think it probably was one of the societies which became part of this organization. That's why I believe this organization should have information about this particular society. Also I still believe that knowing exactly where the immigrants resided in NYC would be helpful, as immigrants from the same town or province settled in the same area(s) of the city and that area(s) would be where the society with the name San Cataldo existed.
Peg
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I skimmed thru the Tiscali and saw references to earlyl NYC San Cataldo material (sounds better than "stuff") =Peter=
~Peter~
Normandie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Normandie »

Thanks for all the information. In meantime I heard back from my cousin on some other information she had. She had a paper which was from her late Mother that was from San Cataldo Society. It said it was called Committee of Festa San Cataldo, Salvatore Cammarata, 4 Clarkhuff Rd. Flemington, NJ. My cousin also confirmed that they have a Mass every May in NYC. I will try to find Church.
On New York Passenger list found Vincenzio Giambra. It said he came 14 April 1901. He came before his family and was going to meet Brother in law. Couldn't read the rest so need to confirm this information. His wife was listed as Salvatrice Lombardo and she came 31 May 1902. Their home listed as South Cataldo. I couldn't find them in 1910 census. Did find them in 1920 census. I need to relook them up to see street they lived on. I found this info on Ancestry. I need to go back to my library to check this information. N
N
Normandie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Normandie »

I just found out that Mass is held at Most Precious Blood Church located on Mulberry St. in New York City. N
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

http://www.mostpreciousbloodchurch.net/

The above is a website for the church you mention, and there is mention of the San Cataldo society and the Mass. You can probably write to the parish to get more information about the society.