New Birth Certificate in Italy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ncaprio
Rookie
Rookie

New Birth Certificate in Italy

Post by ncaprio »

Hey kids... I'm curious... how does it work when you're granted citizenship... Are you registered with the Comune of the town you're claiming citizenship through?

For example... if I'm going through my grandfather in Castellabate... and I was accepted through the consulate... would they create a new "birth certificate" for me at the comune?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: New Birth Certificate in Italy

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Yes. That is exactly what happens.

If you wait long enough (up to a year in many cases) you can eventually write to the comune and request a copy of your birth (and marriage if applicable) certificate.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
ncaprio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ncaprio »

Okay... that is just plain cool!!
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Ncaprio, I was recognized in 2001. My documents are registered at the Comune di Castelli in Teramo, Abruzzo. They did not create a new birth certificate for me -- because I wasn't born there. But the Comune did keep and file the original birth certificate (with Apostille) that I submitted to the Philadelphia Consulate back in 2001. Subsequently, I ordered an additional copy of my birth certificate for myself because I thought I should have one -- even though my American passport should suffice. In addition, your Italian passport (when you get it), will show your birthplace as "Stati Uniti d'America" or "Canada", etc. but will not show "Italy" because you wern't born there.