Marziotti

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
epowers

Marziotti

Post by epowers »

Looking for information on Salvatore Marziotti, b. 1874 in Italy. He and his mother, Marie, b. approx. 1848, don't know maiden name, came to the U.S. in 1890. Left from Naples and settled in Yonkers, New York. I cannot find anything about either of them on Ellis Island site. Can anyone help?
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Marziotti

Post by maestra36 »

The Ellis Island records only begin in 1892, so if they arrived in the U.S. in 1890, you would need to search for them on the Castle Garden website

www.castlegarden.org

Do you know Salvatore's mother's maiden name?

I also wonder if the original spelling of the surname was with two letter z's as in Mazziotti
epowers

Post by epowers »

maestra36 wrote:The Ellis Island records only begin in 1892, so if they arrived in the U.S. in 1890, you would need to search for them on the Castle Garden website

www.castlegarden.org

Do you know Salvatore's mother's maiden name?
I meant to say that I had looked on Castle Garden. (I also looked on Ellis Island in case the entry date was wrong). No, I do not know Marie Marziotti's maiden name, nor do I know her husband's name.
epowers

Post by epowers »

maestra36 wrote:I also wonder if the original spelling of the surname was with two letter z's as in Mazziotti
I've tried every possible spelling including Margiotti, Margioti, Marzio, etc. I also tried using "starts with mar" (on Ellis Island) and "mar*" (on Castle Garden). I believe they entered the country with friends named Zarrelli, or Zarelli, or Zerrilo, and have even read entire ship passenger lists, but nothing. Do you have any other sources?
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

do you know what town they were specifically from? I understand that they left from Naples, but do you know where Sal was born?
epowers

Post by epowers »

maestra36 wrote:do you know what town they were specifically from? I understand that they left from Naples, but do you know where Sal was born?
No - that's the problem. With another branch of the family I was able to find records by using the name of the town they came from. With Salvatore Marziotti, I have posted everything I know about him prior to his arrival in the States. Some family members have speculated that they were from Naples; others have suggested that the name sounds like they came from Sicily, but no one really knows anything for sure.
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Dont suppose he married a Vincenza Buona in New York?
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
epowers

Post by epowers »

jamiecapaldi wrote:Dont suppose he married a Vincenza Buona in New York?
No, he married Antonetta Zarrelli. I believe they were married in Yonkers, New York, some time between 1890 and 1898. I have what I think is an accurate hit on Antonetta coming into the U.S. as a single young woman about the same time. My next step is to see if I can order a copy of their marriage license from Yonkers. There may be information on it as to his parents. Do you have any other suggestions?
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Even if he were from Naples, the problem is that Naples is a city as well as a province. There are many small towns and villages within the province. Have you found them on other U.S. records?
epowers

Post by epowers »

maestra36 wrote:Even if he were from Naples, the problem is that Naples is a city as well as a province. There are many small towns and villages within the province. Have you found them on other U.S. records?
Yes, I found both mother and son on the 1910 Census and all Censuses after that, but there is no information as to city or province of birth.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Sorry I am multi-tasking, as usual, and thinking.
epowers

Post by epowers »

maestra36 wrote:Sorry I am multi-tasking, as usual, and thinking.
Thanks. Let me know if you think of something.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Does the one census tell you how many years they had been married since you seem to think they married between 1890 and 1898. Then you should have found them on a 1900 census as a married couple. I was just thinking his mother may have been living with them and her maiden name might be on that census.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

If she traveled under her maiden name, it's possible that he appears on a passenger list under her maiden name and not under his surname. This is just something I am thinking.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I was also looking at the Westchester County archives website online to see if their marriage info was there. I see a Sal but with a 1930 marriage.