Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Marriage #111
5 October 1879 at 10:50 AM at the town hall Monreale
Giovanni Sanfilippo, 25, "villano" - peasant, son of Giuseppe and Antonia Xxxx;
and Angela Salamone, 27, (can't read her occupation) daughter of Nicolo and Grazia Iannotta.
Even though the initial letter in Antonina's last name does not look like the S in Sanfilippo and Salamone, I think the surname could still possibly be Serio, as I do see the rio at the end. Also her first name in the record was Antonina and not Antonia. I still can't read her profession either.
On some documents I see the names Antonia and Antonina used interchangably. Are they 2 seperate names, or one? I didn't know if Antonina was used as the child of an Antonia, and then as an adult it became Antonia.
It may seem like a stupid question to you, but I have seen my GGrandmother's name both ways.
Hi Diane
I'm happy I got the surname correct on this one. Sure wish I could figure out the occupation, but still nothing.
Antonina is the diminutive form of Antonia and basically means little Antonia. So the first names are used interchangeably. My husband and I have ancestors with the same situation, where the name varied in spelling in the records. One time we would have Antonino and another time Antonio for a male ancestor, meaning little Anthony and just Anthony. Same thing with the feminine forms of Antonina and Antonia. Your question wasn't a stupid one. In my opinion, no question is, so always ask if you are unsure, and hopefully someone on this forum will be able to provide you with an answer.
chickenwoman wrote:On some documents I see the names Antonia and Antonina used interchangably. Are they 2 seperate names, or one? I didn't know if Antonina was used as the child of an Antonia, and then as an adult it became Antonia.
quote]
They can be the same person. You see it as well with Antonio and Antonino.
The ending -ina and -ino are often used to refer to Little Antonia or Little Antonio. It can also be used as a form of endearment.
There has been a strong custom in Italy that determines how children are named: The first male is named after his paternal grandfather.The second male is named after his maternal grandfather.The first female is named after her paternal grandmother.The second female is named after her maternal grandm...