Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by wldspirit »

Glad to be of some help.......
considering that I'm usually the one with all the questions. :?

There is another site which offers an interactive form letter,
I didn't bookmark the site, perhaps Peter could provide the link.

wldspirit
User avatar
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1302
Joined: 06 Oct 2003, 00:00

Re: Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by VaDeb »

Here is the interactive form letter.

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

Debbie
User avatar
ptimber
Master
Master
Posts: 5056
Joined: 01 Jan 1970, 01:00
Location: ny

Re: Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by ptimber »

User avatar
Auburn0508
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 20 Dec 2004, 00:00
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by Auburn0508 »

Thanks for the help, guys and gals. :)

It's all one big waiting game now. Have sent letters to the Consolato d'Italia and a couple of other places, so there doesn't seem to be much more I can do.

O/T - Have also sent away for some information from BD&M (Dept. of Births, Deaths & Marriages) and the National Archives of Australia (NAA) ... am going to use the documents in about 3-4 weeks, in regards to my application for my European passport! My father was actually born in De Bilt, Holland... which (almost) guarantees I'm eligible for the EU passport.

So hopefully, in about 8-10 weeks, I can fly out of Australia and head to Britain to start on my archaeological field work. :D 8)
A balance of caution and risk is necessary for a true life. Too much of one can lead to a long, dull existence - too much of the other can lead to a short pointless existence. Moderation in all things - a full and fully-experienced life. :)
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by wldspirit »

Best of luck to you Auburn :D

Archaeological field work? Sounds exciting!!

Have patience with the letter responses, I am still waiting after 2 months.
I'm giving it about 3 months, as I don't want to come across like a
typical pushy American!!

wldspirit
User avatar
ptimber
Master
Master
Posts: 5056
Joined: 01 Jan 1970, 01:00
Location: ny

Re: Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by ptimber »

After 6 weeks you can send a follow up letter and it is appropriate since that is the usual waiting time. If you wait much longer it can languish. Send a dollar along with the fiollow up letter for stamps asking them to help the request along. At least they wil know your on top of it. Be nice but let them know your there. Peter
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by wldspirit »

Thanks Peter, will do.

wldspirit
User avatar
Auburn0508
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 20 Dec 2004, 00:00
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by Auburn0508 »

I'm glad I've been basing my research on the paper evidence, and not on my mother's recollection...

Was talking to her last night, and we got onto the topic of the research. I mentioned trying to get info on her grandmother (father's mother), Catherine Beric. She claimed that Beric was a Dutch name, and was not on her side of the family... yet she still doesn't accept that Catherine Beric is listed as her father's mother. 8O

I do recall, about a year ago, she told me that she was named after her mother's mother in the Italian tradition - her middle name being Rosalia. She was always upset that her name was Susanne instead of Catherine, which it should have been - had she been named fully in the Italian manner (of sorts). She always said that was why she named my sister Katherine.

Very strange that she denies it now...
A balance of caution and risk is necessary for a true life. Too much of one can lead to a long, dull existence - too much of the other can lead to a short pointless existence. Moderation in all things - a full and fully-experienced life. :)
User avatar
Auburn0508
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 20 Dec 2004, 00:00
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by Auburn0508 »

Hiya guys. :)

Just a quick update. FINALLY have the documents from the National Archives - the full file (kinda). There were are few documents that were concealed for political reasons, but I'll argue for those if possible. Will review the file tonight and decide on the next course of action... in other words, what I'm gonna do with the data!! :D

Have also submitted a third request to the NAA, after a phone conversation with one of the researchers revealed my first 2 requests for my father's Naturalisation Papers had not been entered into the database. However, I have managed to review the rest of his parents' NAA file online through the new digital service.

Will keep you all posted.
A balance of caution and risk is necessary for a true life. Too much of one can lead to a long, dull existence - too much of the other can lead to a short pointless existence. Moderation in all things - a full and fully-experienced life. :)
User avatar
fortunata
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: 10 Apr 2007, 00:00
Location: California

Re: Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by fortunata »

Hello,
I have 2 Guglielminis in my heritage.
Agata(born 12/10/1782) who married into the Sardo family and her father Martin. They were from Palermo and Catania, Sicily. any chance they may be related???
I would love any info also. :D
Thank you!
B.

Auburn0508 wrote:I am seeking information relating to my maternal ancestors. My grandmother and grandfather moved to Australia in the early 1950s from Trieste, Italy. My mother was born here in Australia, as was I.

The only names I have to go on are as follows:

* Lucilla Guglielmini (nee Stefanovich)(grandmother)
* Guiseppe Guglielmini (great/grandfather)
* Rosalia Stefanovich (great-grandmother)
* Joseph Stefanovich (great-grandfather)

My mother's father was born in Spoletto, in the province of Dalmatia, Jugoslavia. Although I'm not too sure what the region is called now... :)
User avatar
dabo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 04 Jan 2005, 00:00
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by dabo »

Is there nothing new??

Dabo
User avatar
Zara
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 21
Joined: 21 Sep 2009, 13:20

Re: Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by Zara »

My grandfather on my father's side was Guglielmini (Domenico), and he married my grandmother Renata Domic. They were married in Zagreb (Zagabria) Croatia, and lived there till he dissapeared in 1945. She was born in 1922. and I don't know his birth date, I only know that he was approximatelly 12 years older than her. So the year of his brith can be 1911. or later.

Spoletto that you mentioned is city of Split (Croatian pronunciation), Italian pronunciation is Spalato, and that's the city in provence of Dalmatia (Dalmacija).
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Zara just what are you seeking?? documents or trying to locate the whereabouts of your grandfather?? Please adivse. =Peter=
~Peter~
User avatar
Zara
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 21
Joined: 21 Sep 2009, 13:20

Re: Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by Zara »

Dear Peter, I'm just anxious to get any information about that side of my family. Whole life my father doesn't know anything about his father, my grandfather, and I'm trying to see is he alive, is he dead, missing or what, do I have any relatives and so on. Whereabouts are not my interest at all. Just people, dead or living because I want to know where I'm from.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by suanj »

Zara, you know if Domenico Guglielmini marriage was registered also in Firenze?
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Post Reply