LIPARI FAMILIES - TRAPANI, SICILIA

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
CapeTownItalians
Rookie
Rookie

LIPARI FAMILIES - TRAPANI, SICILIA

Post by CapeTownItalians »

Hi Peter

After many years waiting and searching patiently to discover, in what town exactly, in Sicilia, was our great grandfather born. We have his birth certificate from Commune di Trapani confirmed. Now it would be great if we could make contact with any of his family still living there!

We now also have confirmation from our Dept. of Home Affairs that he did not give up his Italian Citizenship while living here in South Africa.
Our question now is, my great grandfathers oldest daughter, Angeline Lipari, was our grandmother. What are the chances of us getting Italian Citizenship?
Can someone out there give us advice as to what now.
Looking forward to hearing from anyone out there ALSO any family members of our Grandfather - Bartolomeo Lipari born 27/09/1875 in Trapani, Sicilia.

Ciao
Linda :wink:
trevisan2
Master
Master

Re: LIPARI FAMILIES - TRAPANI, SICILIA

Post by trevisan2 »

I would go to the www.familysearch.org

site and order in some microfilms and look up who the cousins were of your grandparents. The working forward, find the latest ones born, say in the early 1900's.

then go to the Italian white pages and write some letters to thoses that match in the Surnames.

Here is another site that will aid in helping you to learn to read the Italian documents on the films.
http://script.byu.edu/italian/en/guide.aspx

Regards,
Trevisan2

I happen to have the Trapini films in at a family history center, where I am doing some research for a friend. I could take a look, if you can give me specific information name , birth date and parents names.
Researching in the provincia di Treviso, Italy, Provaglio Sopra, Val Sabbia of Brescia.
Domege di Cadore, Cavalo, Fumane, Verona

Forno di Rivara, TO, Canischio, TO
CapeTownItalians
Rookie
Rookie

Hi Trevisan2

Thanks for the response.

All we have is that he, Bartollomeo Lipari was born on the 27th September 1975 in Trapani at 06h00. His dad was Franceso and his mom was Gena Angela Lipari. Obviously he left Trapani and came over to South Africa I would estimate when he was about 25yrs. He married Sarah Stevens here in the Cape and they had 6 children, my grandmother also Angela was the first born and the only girl. He did not give up his Italian Citizenship either according to our Dept. of Home Affairs.

This is all info that I have at this stage.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Ciao Linda
kellyt85

Post by kellyt85 »

Hi there Linda

I know it has been a while since your last post, but I am sherryt's daughter. I am interested to find out how you have got on with finding out more information.
Years ago when I was in school I did an assignment on family history and my grandmother, Ethel, is Bartollomeo's granddaughter. Francesco is her father and my grandmother's brother, Andrew, has the original marriage certficate of Bartollomeo and Sarah.
I find this extremely interesting and would love to find out more about my family history.

Kelly
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

To know more, you can always write in italian to Trapani civil record office or to Trapani state archive
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo

p.s. trapani civil records are also on microfilms
kellyt85 wrote:Hi there Linda

I know it has been a while since your last post, but I am sherryt's daughter. I am interested to find out how you have got on with finding out more information.
Years ago when I was in school I did an assignment on family history and my grandmother, Ethel, is Bartollomeo's granddaughter. Francesco is her father and my grandmother's brother, Andrew, has the original marriage certficate of Bartollomeo and Sarah.
I find this extremely interesting and would love to find out more about my family history.

Kelly
CapeTownItalians
Rookie
Rookie

Hi Kelly

So much to tell really, but some dissappointments along the way too.
Are you living in Austrlia? I did respond to your Moms post but never heard anything from her, I really was dissappointed, but none the less I found Natasha Lipari, who does know quite a bit about the Lipari family in South Africa. Natasha is the daughter of Michael Lipari, who is the brother of my grandmother Angela Lipari. We, Natasha and I are of the same generation. Believe me it has taken me years to establish where our great grandfather was born, I always had an idea it was somewhere in Sicilia because my mother has a copy of a certificate of registrar, which has the birth dates of Bartollomeo and Sarah as well as their date of marriage and all the children names and dates of birth. I wrote to virtually all the "Communes in Sicilia" and received his (Bartollomeo's) birth certificate in the mail. I was very impressed now at least we knew what town he was born in. What we are still trying to establish is the nationality of Sarah (nee Stevens) who was our great grandmother. The Dept. of Home Affairs in S.A. is pathetic! Now we are trying to get Italian Citizenship, what a mission, it has something to do with the year 1948, the Italian Government put 'some' law in place and on that subject I am not familiar at all. :arrow:
CapeTownItalians
Rookie
Rookie

Hi again Kelly

I ran out of space, to continue it would be great if we here in S.A could get hold of the marriage certificate. The more we share with one another the more we will be able to find out about our family history. Do you know Natasha Lipari at all, she definitely knows Ethel, and this is how we are finding out more and more. We would also like to find out more about great grandmother Sarah (nee Stevens) as I already mentioned. So if you have any questions or information you can pass on, we would love to hear from you.
When I have a bit more free time I would like to write to the Commune in Trapani to find out more.
Looking forward to hearing from you again. Do you speak any italian?
Love
Linda Ciao
robheid

Post by robheid »

Hi Linda

I am Ethel's grand daughter. Could you please contact me on heidi.thomas@hp.com

thanks
Heidi
CapeTownItalians
Rookie
Rookie

Hi again Heidi

Did respond to your personal email, for which I received a notification only today, the 10/08/2010.

Why have I not heard from your sister Kelly or your Mom Sheila, and by the way what is your surname? Is your Mom still living in Australia?

Would love to hear from you again.

Cia for now
Linda
robheid

Post by robheid »

Hi Linda

Thanks for you reply. Kelly says she has never received a reply from you and when I emailed it to her today is the first time she got to read it. My mom sherry, not sure why she has not replied to you.

My sis is living in Dubia now and my mom is still in OZ.

The reason why I mailed you today is because I am trying to apply for Italian citizenship through jure sanguinis. The same avenue you were trying. I have communicated with the Italian consulate and in order for them to determine whether I qualify we need to establish whether Bartollomeo Lipari remained an Italian citizen? I hope and pray he did.

Do you have any information that I could use please??

Regards
Heidi
robheid

Post by robheid »

I sent you this mail earlier but it seems to be stuck in the outbox for more than an hour. Hope it goes through....
To: CapeTownItalians
Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:30 pm
Subject: Re: Lipari Family
Hi

I'm not sure exactly how this site works, so sorry for inundating you with messages. If you could email me a copy of his birth cert. that would be awesome:)

Finding out information from Home Affairs is like trying to find Osama Bin Ladin!!

According to Italian law there is no generational limit as long as your ancestor was born before 1850. Up until 1948 it was seen that a woman could not pass on the birth right of citizenship to her blood line.

My email address is robheid @ gmx.net or heidi.thomas @ hp.com

I know that my granny's brother Andrew has a marriage certificate of Sarah Stevens and Bartollemeo Lipari.

Regards
Heidi
CapeTownItalians
Rookie
Rookie

Hi again Heidi

Would be great if you could organize a copy of that marriage certificate,
and email it to me.

Now I am a bit confused since Bartollomeo Lipari was born in 1875?
(which is after 1850)

Will send a copy of the birth certificate via another email address.
Please keep me posted on your progress for Italian citizenship, could
be very interesting.

Ciao ciao
Linda
robheid

Post by robheid »

shoot I meant that he had to be born after 1850. My apologies. Long weekend has taken its toll.

I will go to my uncle this weekend and get the copy for you of the marriage certicicate.

Take care
Heidi
CapeTownItalians
Rookie
Rookie

Multi grazi, have sent you Bartollomeo Lipari's birth certificate.

Looking forward to receiving the marriage certificate, who is

your uncle, by the way?

Ciao, Linda
robheid

Post by robheid »

Goodmorning

It is my grandmother's brother, Andrew. When their father died he managed to salvage a few documents that their stepmother threw out. I'm not sure what all he has. My granny says he definately has the marriage certificate though.

Thank you again for the certificate. I have sent it to the Consulate and await their response.

I will keep you updated.

Thanks again