History of an Italian community

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
kat7914

History of an Italian community

Post by kat7914 »

Does anyone know about Nicastro, Italy? I found many ancestors in Caraffa di Cantanzaro but I also find many from Nicastro and I am wondering, because the dates go way back to the 1700s, if possibly there was no Caraffa then or those from Nicastro could be related as well.

Just don't know how to find out.

Anyone know?

thanks,
Kathy Anderson
Guzzo family
lindapirro27

Re: History of an Italian community

Post by lindapirro27 »

maybe this will help you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicastro
kat7914

Post by kat7914 »

thanks so much. I'll check that out.

Kathy Anderson
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

NICASTRO is a Frazione of the Comune LAMEZIA TERME.
Go to www.tuttitalia.it/calabria/31-lamezia-terme

There are two Caraffa go to www.nonsolocap.it one is in RC and the other in CZ Province). click on caraffa and see above websites.

=Peter=
~Peter~
kat7914

Post by kat7914 »

I didn't know there were two but my Grandfather's birth certificate and an aunt's birth certificate both said Caraffa di Cantanzaro. But I went to that web site and found it very interesting. Thank you,

Kathy A
kat7914

Post by kat7914 »

What do they mean "jug"? In this example?

Catanzaro is a country jug Arbëresh (Italo-Albanian), founded during a major wave of migration, which occurred around 1448, by militias Shqipetare, Albanians came in the wake of Demetrius Reres and two sons Basil and George on the other side of the Ionian to help the King of Naples, Alfonso of Aragon. Demetrio, per i servigi prestati al re, fu nominato governatore della provincia di Reggio, ed il suo seguito, rimasto in Calabria, ha dato origine ai paesi attorno a Catanzaro (Andali, Arietta, Caraffa, Carfizzi, Gizzeria, Marcedusa, Pallagorio, S. Nicola Dell'Alto, Vena di Maida, Zangarona). Demetrius, for services rendered to the king, was appointed governor of the province of Reggio, and his followers, remained in Calabria, has led to countries around Catanzaro (Andali, Arietta, Jug, Carfizzi, Gizzeria, Marcedusa, Pallagorio S . Upper Nicola, Vena di Maida, Zangarona).
mgulluscio

Post by mgulluscio »

Thank you for the info. I have been using fmilysearch to locate family member born in Carfizzi. The specific years of 1893-1901 are missing from that film. As per their direction I searched Crotone & Catanzaro and could not locate the record. This is my Dad's sister, Domenica Mary Bellucci. According to buriel site DOB is 1995, the ship manifest says age 1 arriving in 1897 NYC, & her S.S. Death Index says 11/23/1893, so not sure what to go by. I've been searching 1995 & 1996. My question is: not sure if Carfizzi is part of Crotone, Catanzaro, because in some areas Carfizzi stands alone & on map says it's part of Cosenza.
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱