I previously posted "Please help with reading this marriage certificate," but have a new question. You can see the scanned marriage certificate there.
We thought that Emilia Sebastiana Mure' (the bride on this marriage certificate) was the birth mother of Giuseppe. Does the handwritten statement at the bottom of the marriage certificate mean with certainty that in addition to his father being unknown, Giuseppe's birth mother was unknown? Also, would this statement have been considered a formal adoption?
Legitimatizing a child???
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Legitimatizing a child???
I answered this on your other post. The statement says that the child is the true child of this couple and their marriage legitimizes his birth. It is not an adoption.
It happened frequently that a child born to a couple not married was registered with the name of the mother OR the father but not both, even if both were known. (This is a Catholic country) If they later married, a statement on the marriage certificate legitimized the child and if he previously borre the surname of the mother this was simply changed on his birth record to the surname of the father. No legal costs to adopt, nice and tidy.
It happened frequently that a child born to a couple not married was registered with the name of the mother OR the father but not both, even if both were known. (This is a Catholic country) If they later married, a statement on the marriage certificate legitimized the child and if he previously borre the surname of the mother this was simply changed on his birth record to the surname of the father. No legal costs to adopt, nice and tidy.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Re: Legitimatizing a child???
Thank you, again!
I was seeking clarification because I am gathering documents to apply for Italian citizenship. I have been concerned because Giuseppe's (my great grandfather) surname is Mazzarella on his birth certificate and then Romano on all other documents. I am hoping that this marriage certificate will be sufficient evidence that Giuseppe Mazzarella and Giuseppe Romano are the same person. And that the marriage certificate well documents how his surname came to change.
Again, I would appreciate your insights.
I was seeking clarification because I am gathering documents to apply for Italian citizenship. I have been concerned because Giuseppe's (my great grandfather) surname is Mazzarella on his birth certificate and then Romano on all other documents. I am hoping that this marriage certificate will be sufficient evidence that Giuseppe Mazzarella and Giuseppe Romano are the same person. And that the marriage certificate well documents how his surname came to change.
Again, I would appreciate your insights.
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Legitimatizing a child???
You could write to the town enclosing copies of the birth and marriage records and ask them to correct the record and reissue the birth certificate.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Re: Legitimatizing a child???
Thank you, again!
I had no idea that requesting a reissue of the birth certificate to align the surnames was an option! I really appreciate this information.
I had no idea that requesting a reissue of the birth certificate to align the surnames was an option! I really appreciate this information.
