1905 NYC Census

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

1905 NYC Census

Post by chrisdamato »

I've been having a great deal of difficulty with the census images on the SteveMorse website. 75% of certain Enumeration district pages don't load at all. I get messages that say image cannot load due to errors on the page. What's so frustrating is that the pages I need are the ones that aren't loading.

Has anybody else encountered these problems???
lilbees
Master
Master

Re: 1905 NYC Census

Post by lilbees »

You can find the 1905 NY census on the Family Search Pilot site. At least what they have is readable.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Unfortunately, the 1905 NYS census on the familysearchlabs.org website (the site mentioned by libees) is currently only 59% complete.

For NYC, there is currently only the census for Kings County or Brooklyn.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Since I have been digging in those particular counties I really didn't think of the others.

So sorry. I am sure they will be complete in the not too distant future.

Sorry again for misdirecting you.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Post by chrisdamato »

That's ok. Right now, the only way to find all of the records is through SteveMorse.org. That is, when the pages actually load properly!!!

Only Kings county records have been indexed to allow you to search for an individual by name. Too bad none of my ancestors lived in Brooklyn. They were all in Manhattan, Bronx, and Staten Island.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

chris what are you looking for in the census that perhaps can be obtained thru other venues? =Peter=
~Peter~
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

"Only Kings county records have been indexed to allow you to search for an individual by name. Too bad none of my ancestors lived in Brooklyn."

Would someone be kind enough to provide a link? I have been researching some non-Italian relatives in Kings County for this time period and I don't have Ancestry.

Thank you
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Jim
You can search the 1905 NYS census for Brooklyn from www.familysearchlabs.org website.
Peg
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Thank you, Peg.
Sorry for messing up your thread, Chris.
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Post by chrisdamato »

I've been having a great deal of trouble finding people that I know were living in Manhattan in the period from 1900 to 1920. Some of them are missing 1910 census, some 1900. When I came across the 1905 and 1915 census, it was a way for me to fill in the blanks. I have other records, such as marriage and birth certificates that give me the addresses where many of them lived during that time. I search through SteveMorse.org for specific address locations, but I've only found a couple records, and they were living two doors down or just around the corner. Very frustrating.
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Post by chrisdamato »

Here's an example:

Vincenzo & Giovanna Mento listed 119 Sullivan St in Manhattan as their address on their marriage certificate. In 1900, they were at 86 Sullivan St. living with Giovanna's mother Rose and sister Antonette. They don't appear again until 1920, living at 73 Thompson St.

I confirmed through a marriage certificate of Antonette, that she was living on King St., right around the corner, in 1912. But why am I not able to find them on the 1910 census anywhere in that vicinity. I looked at some many names that my eyes were bulging out of my skull, but still no luck