Margaret or Marguerite Valentine

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
maestra36
Master
Master

Margaret or Marguerite Valentine

Post by maestra36 »

Looking for NY naturalization records for either Margaret or Marguerite Valentine. I do not have a subscription to ancestry.com. She was born in 1895 and her husband's name was Joseph. They were living in Manhattan prior to 1930 and then in the Bronx, NY after that. He naturalized in the southern district of NY and became a citizen in January of 1938. They had 5 children. She died in Dec of 1939.
vj
Master
Master

Re: Margaret or Marguerite Valentine

Post by vj »

Hi Peg,
No luck on footnote, but the IGG has this for the Southern District.
I've ordered records from NYC with great success
Valarie
---

Surname First Name Age Petition Volume Petition Number Date of Petition Approx year of Birth Record Type Soundex

Valentine Marguerite 49 304297 05/23/1938 1889 Petition V453
---

pdf format order form:
http://www.italiangen.org/Naturalizatio ... enSite.pdf

from this IGG page
http://www.italiangen.org/Southern.stm
===

Index Card from ancestry. com
http://a.imageshack.us/img690/5343/15885810.jpg
Name: Marguerite Valentine
State: New York
Locality, Court: Southern District of New York, District and Circuit Court
Title: Alphabetical Index to Petitions for Naturalization of the U.S. District Court and Circuit Court for the Southern District of New York, 1824-1941
Description: Vaananen, Aino to Wasserman, Zeide
Series: M1676
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Hi Valarie
Thanks for the information. I had seen that in the southern district of NY naturalization index some time ago and had wondered if the actual record was up on ancestry. I have also ordered directly from those archives with great success and actually got all but one of my naturalization records that way. The only one I had to order from the Bronx clerk's office was for my husband's one grandmother. The reason I have hesitated for so long with this one is because the spelling of the last name in the index is not Italian and, as far as I know, she always used Margaret as a first name, especially in the 1930s, even though her Italian name was Margherita. Her husband's last name on his naturalization papers was spelled the correct way with an "o" and not an "e" at the end. Anyway, I do appreciate your help. I guess I will never know for sure unless I order the record. Thanks.
Peg
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

maestra36 wrote:Hi Valarie
Thanks for the information. I had seen that in the southern district of NY naturalization index some time ago and had wondered if the actual record was up on ancestry. I have also ordered directly from those archives with great success and actually got all but one of my naturalization records that way. The only one I had to order from the Bronx clerk's office was for my husband's one grandmother. The reason I have hesitated for so long with this one is because the spelling of the last name in the index is not Italian and, as far as I know, she always used Margaret as a first name, especially in the 1930s, even though her Italian name was Margherita. Her husband's last name on his naturalization papers was spelled the correct way with an "o" and not an "e" at the end. Anyway, I do appreciate your help. I guess I will never know for sure unless I order the record. Thanks.
Peg
Hi Peg :D ,
Actually the records are on ancestry but nearly impossible to find - they aren't indexed by name, only by number. Shame is, the number index is incorrect (the one you're looking for is in a missing folder)
They've been working on the name index but it's only abt 60% complete.
Est birth date on the IGG record is 1889...
Nice that NYC has kept their prices down on record copies
Valarie
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Thanks, again, Valarie. It figures that what I want to see would be in a missing folder. Never fails. Anyway, I will just take a chance and order the record copy directly from the archives. Then I'll know either way. I know the estimated year of birth in the index is 1889, which is another reason why I've been hesitant to order the record, as she was definitely born in Italy in 1895. The estimated years of birth in the index for others in my and my husband's ancestries have only been off by a year.
Peg