Help with Transcription and/or Translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
ftonetti

Help with Transcription and/or Translation

Post by ftonetti »

Need help with this and severl other documents some of which are fully handwritten but I thought I'd take the simpler one first ... I've translated where I could ( below ) and left __ where I couldn't like the whole bottom part. There appears to be a wealth of information in these documents all of which I would like to have. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

The year one thousand eight hundred eighty four thirtieth day of May, no dials a ___ hour and minute, in the Municipal House: Before me ___ registrar of the town of Brusnengo and appeared Joseph Tonetti, aged ___ thirty-seven domiciled in Brusnengo, who told me that at ___ meridians and eight minutes of the twenty-six of this month, the house ___ ___ mail George at number seven, with wife Carolina Balocco cohabiting ___, ___ ___ and born a child of male sex IGLI which introduces me and which from the names of Giovan Filippo. In the above and this document were present as witnesses Louis Eusbio ___ years, and Joseph Balocco age fifty fifth, both residing in the City.
___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Help with Transcription and/or Translation

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello and welcome :-)

Could you upload the document for us to see?

T.
ftonetti

Post by ftonetti »

Added above ... The original was too large to allow posting and for some reason it now seems to have posted the doc inline as opposed to a link to it.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

You might want to try www.imageshack.com for your next image post... :-)

As for the translation...

At 1 PM in the afternoon...
Giuseppe is 37 years old (di anni trentasette)
He declared that at 8 PM and no minutes on the 26th of the current month...
Carolina was "donna di casa" - housewife or lady of the house
They presented to the official, and gave the child the name Giovan Filippo...

Witnesses look like age 52 and 53 respectively...

The official read the act to all the participants and they all signed...

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

The notation is for a marriage to (can't read first name) Anegnetti (sp? last name) in Comune of Masserano (also in Biella Province), Act #19, on May 23, 1902.

T.
ftonetti

Post by ftonetti »

Yes ... Alessandrina Aragnetti ... My grandmother's maiden name ... In the community of Masserano ( Just down the road from Brusnengo and where my grandmother was born )

Is that what looks like "po" in po meridiane an abbreviation for post ? as in "after" noon ?

Thanks again ...
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Yes, that is just what it means :-D

The street/road is "cantone Gian Giorgio"...I think
when looking for this I found that there is a road in Brusnengo called "Canton Tonetti" today. But no "Canton G. Giorgio"

EDIT: Canton Tonetti looks like it's in Casaceto a neighboring frazione...

T.
ftonetti

Post by ftonetti »

I can't say I'm surprised as I know there were family who were residents there way way back ... I have seen microfilm/fiche documents from Vercelli where apparently the copies of the more recent ones are stored i.e from about 1866 on which I guess coincides with the time of unification. Are there likely to be older records for my great grandparents and beyond still in their respective towns of Brusnengo and Masserano that for whatever reason never made it to Vercelli ? ... and what is the likilhood of being able to somehow myself or have someone else dig them out ?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Earlier records are often found in the Church archives. Sometimes the LDS has microfilm of them. You could try writing to the parish church to inquire...

This site may help...
Letter to Parish Priest
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... rishpriest
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tter4.html

These records are usually in Latin.

Link to information on Italian Church Records
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... cords.html

T.
ftonetti

Post by ftonetti »

Thanks ...

In regards to the marriage annotation ...

- I wouldn't think the marriage couldt have taken place on that date as my gradmother would have only been 7-8 ( b: 1891 ) ...
- It also could not have taken place in 1912 or beyond as they immigrated to the US in September of 1911 ...

While this may be totally wrong I thought that the date at the bottom of the annotation ( which I think is 1912 i.e. handwritten 1 over the printed 0 ) was the date the annotation was made and what looks like a date above in the annotation 19-8-11 could have been the date of marriage i.e. August 19, 1911 ...

Your thoughts ?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Looking at it again, I believe you are correct... Usually the last date is the date the notation was recorded...

I agree that the date was August of 1911 for the marriage, and the date of record was 1912...

Sorry for the confusion :oops:

T.
ftonetti

Post by ftonetti »

No problem ... Thanks for the clarification and second opinion ... It is wonderful to have a place like this frequented by people like you where we can post documents like this to get help. Some of the documents I have, I have looked at for quite awhile and gotten almost nowhere.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Why not post them?

Using imageshack is quite easy, and it will post a link rather than the image...

Looking forward to helping you with your documents :-)

www.imageshack.com

T.
ftonetti

Post by ftonetti »

Slowly but surely I will post others ... It is also good for me to take what I learned from one and try and use it in others ...

I looked at my grandfathers sisters birth certificate ( b: 1875 ) and it shows that at that time the family was living at 7, Canton Tonetti. This is interesting as in looking up the Tonetti's in the phonebook of today they still occupy three dwellings on that road. These folks are no doubt relatives of mine albeit fairly distant because i don't think my great grandfather had any sons that did not immigrate to the US so I would think the closest they could be would be descendants of his brothers.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

That's great!

As for other siblings/offspring...Many times I've heard people (including myself) say," I didn't know about that brother/sister/child!"

You may want to contact the Tonettis on Canton Tonetti to inquire, or just introduce yourself...

Link to Letter to Possible Relative...
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... etter.html

And you're right :-) you should always try to apply what you've learned to other documents... :-)

Happy hunting :wink:

T.