nicola di girolamo/maddelena galuppo (molise) 1900

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
micbri

nicola di girolamo/maddelena galuppo (molise) 1900

Post by micbri »

I believe my grandparents were married in molise about 1900. I can find some record of her arrival in N america but not my grandfathers. I cannot find any record of either of them in italy. Would anyone have any record of them prior to 1900. My records show that she had family in Montorio nei fretani. My records begin in 1910 in N. America. But they are very limited in detail.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: nicola di girolamo/maddelena galuppo (molise) 1900

Post by PeterTimber »

MONTORIO NEI FRETANI

www.tuttitalia.it/molise/64-montorio-nei-fretani is the website for the town and addresses as well as tourist websitge as well.

To find the information you are seeking in Italy go to

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html for the form letters in Italian/ Mail the letter(s) to the UFFICIO DI STATO CIVILE to the address listed under MUNICIPIO inthe above town website. =Peter=
~Peter~
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

micbri wrote:I believe my grandparents were married in molise about 1900. I can find some record of her arrival in N america but not my grandfathers. I cannot find any record of either of them in italy. Would anyone have any record of them prior to 1900. My records show that she had family in Montorio nei fretani. My records begin in 1910 in N. America. But they are very limited in detail.
this is a 1909 arrival manifest for Nicola Di Girolamo, age 29, married, farmlabourer from Montorio (leaving in Montorio his wife Galoppi Maddalena) going to Toronto to join his god-father Antonio Di Benedetto.

page 1:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0007

page 2:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0007

Laura
micbri

Post by micbri »

thank you
micbri

Post by micbri »

would there be more di girolamo's from providentti or Galuppo's from Montorio nei fretani
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

go to www.gens.labo.net/en/colgnomi and put in one of the two surnames and click tghe arrow and then go staright down to the AMERICAN FLAG and click to see where there are people with that surname you picked arde cujrrently residing in the USA. Trty the www.whitepages.com for those states and look for thde surname. =Peter=
~Peter~
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

micbri: my grandmother was Antonina DiGirolamo. Her family was from Gibellina Sicily. Her father was Pasquale DiGirolamo and her mother was Caterina Pace, I believe also from the same area.

Antonina had three sisters: Lena , Mary and I am not sure of the others names. She married Salvatore Guarisco in 1899 when they migrated to New Orleans, LA. and then settled in Spokane, WA. I know many years ago there were several DiGirolamos in that area. I also have heard the name Di Benedettos associated with the family. I know this is not much information, but whenever I see anyone with this name, I figure it can't hurt to add my 2 cents worth, you never know, we are prbably related :-)
micbri

Post by micbri »

thank you all
I cannot say anything for sure as I am still stumbling around finding out about my grandfather here in Canada 1900 on but I believe that Molise is his and my grandmothers origin and that they married about 1900 in Molise and then she migrated to be with him in 1910. He seemed to go back and forth during that time.

There must be other branches of the family still in the region.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Based upon your info and the manifest found by Laura, it appears that your family originated in Montorio nei Frentani. The LDS has microfilmed the civil records 1809-1900 for Montorio nei Frentani. Go to www.familysearch.org and follow the links Library>LibraryCatalog>PlaceSearch. Then type in Montorio and you will be able to review the film notes. These films can be rented and viewed at the Family History Centers operated by the LDS. You can locate the nearest FHC at the above website. Since these records only run to 1900, you may or may not be able to locate your grandparents' marriage record, but you should be able to find their birth records, which might contain marginalia about the later marriage.
John Armellino