what a buncha crap............

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
MST995
Rookie
Rookie

what a buncha crap............

Post by MST995 »

Its official... I won't be able to get my grandfathers birth certificate without a "court order." These laws in NY are crazy. My grandmother went to the clerk in the village where he was born and they told her no, they even called Albany while she was there to confirm. Why isn't there a special circumstance for people who are applying for dual citizenship? Sorry... just had to rant a little bit. This is not the grandfather in the bloodline and I DO have an older short form birth cert (uncertified of course) so I think I am going to forget about it and move on. I guess I'll just have to explain this to the consulate.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: what a buncha crap............

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Despite the consulate websites, most of them do not take or even look at documents for non-direct line ancestors.

My line was Italy-born grandfather -> US-born father -> myself and the New York consulate showed no interest at all in my grandmother's birth/death certificates or my mother's birth certificate.

Someone just posted about their consulate appointment a few days ago and this was still true.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I agree with Carmine. Forget about the bc; you probably won't need it. If they do ask for it, which I doubt, show them them what you do have.
MST995
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MST995 »

Thank you both for the reassurance. Other than that birth certificate I appear to be in very good shape with the documents. Appointment is in April 2011, I should be well prepared.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

This is what I plan on doing. Im just going to take the documents from a rock solid direct line . I will provide the non direct line IF I can get it. But I wont lose to much sleep over it. If they need it definitely, they can tell me when Im there.

Alicia
datt

Post by datt »

there are 4 birth records that are acceptable to the consulate. There are the Certificato di Nescita and the Estratto Per Riassunto Dell’anno Di Nascita, obtainable from the town clerk in the town of birth. There is the napoleanic birth record obtainable from the regional commune clerk and the baptismal record from the catholic church they belonged to. Any of these documents are recognized by the consulate. Maybe try to go to another source?? Good luck!
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

For those who do need NY birth certs for deceased direct-line ancestors, there appears to be an alternative to a court order - at least in some NY localities. One city agreed to release my dead ancestor's birth cert under subpoena served by mail. This is easier and faster than a court order, and any attorney can file it. (I'm having my lawyer sister do it, so can be free to boot). It's definitely worth asking.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

I was recognized in 2001. I provided only documents from my paternal grand-father's line. Grand-father, Father, myself. I never bothered to gather any information on my grand-mother's line and the consulate didn't ask for any. However, every case is different which means additional info could be requested at some point but I wouldn't go crazy if you know you have an accurate and strong case.