grandfather

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
karenpickford345

grandfather

Post by karenpickford345 »

hi there,
i am trying to trace my granfather's family, or some one who may have known them, the surname was MEO :?:
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: grandfather

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Hi, Karen.

You'll have to give us a bit more information if there is to be any hope of helping you.

Did your grandfather emigrate from Italy? If so, do you know where from? Or when?

What was his full name? Can you estimate his year of birth? Where did he live in the US (city/state)? What was your grandmother's name?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
karenpickford345

my grandfathers full name was victore meo,
he was iin the san vittore del lazio italy, area
he was born 1911
my grand mother was a scottish woman called kathleen morrison
i am not sure but i think he was nationalised in 1949
many thanks
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Your grandmother was Scottish and also you used the British spelling "nationalised".

I have a bad tendency to assume everyone is in the US unless they outright tell me otherwise (I know, shame on me...). So, to clarify, did your grandfather emigrate to the US or to the UK? If UK, then where?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
karenpickford345

yes he did, not sure but i do know that lived in glasgow, scotland for a number of years (yes i am english) i live in the uk
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Does the name McColloch fit in anywhere?

The UK Archives at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/cata ... ssmethod=0 appears to have a naturalization record for a "MEO, V aka McCULLOCH Date of birth 08/06/1911". Probably a longshot, but still...

The Italian telephone directory currently lists a single Meo, Pasquale, residing in San Vittore del Lazio ( http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... &td=2&l=en ). Many of our members have had varying degrees of success when contacting possible relatives based on nothing more than a surname and a telephone listing. If you wish to give that a try, a sample letter can be found at http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... etter.html
Carmine

karenpickford345

yes thats the one....
karenpickford345

how do i go about contacting them, i do not know any italian?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

johnnyonthespot wrote: If you wish to give that a try, a sample letter can be found at http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... etter.html
You can also find form letters here...
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

T.
karenpickford345

could you please tell me if this is the full address for p meo?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

You didn't post an address to check, but I assume it's the one Carmine found for you... :-)

Here is the full address

Meo Pasquale
Via Palmento, 3
03040 San Vittore Del Lazio (FR)
ITALY

T.
karenpickford345

yes it was , thank you, i am trying to compose a letter using the form letter guide,will let you know what happens.
MazzaDC

Post by MazzaDC »

If you are related to this Meo then you are a distant relative of mine. My mother is Rosa Meo. Her father was Carmine Meo - died 1948. His brother was Vittore Antonio Meo and he took his wife's name of MacCulloch due to the war. They were married in Glasgow on 22nd October 1908.
MazzaDC

Post by MazzaDC »

Sorry some mis-information in previous post. The son of Vittore took his mother's name of MacCulloch due to war.
MazzaDC

Post by MazzaDC »

A bit of further information - your grandfather I knew as uncle Victor. He died in 1983 and was cremated in Glasgow. He had a sister Rosa (Rosa Elena) and a brother Johnny ( John Gaetano). I think he also had an older brother Michele, however I never knew him. Rosa's married name was Cairns and she died in 1989. Johnny used to hire motorboats on Loch Lomond. He died in 1979. Their father ( my grandfather's brother ) and my grandfather set up a barber's shop together in Rutherglen. He served in the Highland Light Infantry (Private Vittore Antonio Meo, No 63813)