Lista di Leva

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Lista di Leva

Post by johnnyonthespot »

This is from the "DECISIONI" column of the Lista di Leva entry for my maternal grandfather's elder brother. He was born July 7, 1883 in Malvito, Cosenza.

From what I can make out, it says, "Cancellato perché morto in ???? il 12 Dicembre 1884."

Roughly translated, "Erased (Crossed out) because of death in ???? on December 12, 1884."

What is the word (placename, I presume) after morto in? I would expect Malvito, but it doesn't look right.

The entry is dated June 19, 1903.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Lista di Leva

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Carmine :-)

Looks like "Malvano" to me...
But there isn't such a place that I can find... :-?

T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Looks like Malvano to me too, but I can't find any such place. I did find Molveno though.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Maybe it's not in Italy?
Escpecially since it was recorded almost 20 years later...

T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Comune di Molveno (Provincia di Trento, Regione Trentino-Alto Adige
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Hmmm.... Is the missing word not the location of death but rather the cause of death?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Check out this link...
An Italian geographic map showing "Fosso Malvano".... ???

http://www.tageo.com/index-e-it-v-00-d-m185861.htm

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Looks like there is a Fosso Malvano...

http://www.baysider.com/attraction/2984 ... so-malvano

T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

T
You could be onto something. Carmine, I don't think it's a cause of death. I think it's the location.
Peg
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Touring Club Italiano site for Fosso Malvano

http://www.touringclub.it/destinazioni/ ... so-Malvano

T.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

The family had been in Malvito for 100 years and was still there after my grandfather emigrated to the US. Since this brother was only a bit more than one year old when he died, I would expect that it happened in Malvito - unless the parents took him to another comune for treatment.

What do you think of the possiblity that the word is not place of death but instead cause of death?

As an aside, I first began looking for brother Michele because my grandfather's obituary said that he was "also survived by a brother, Michael, in Italy." Since this Michele died at a very young age, the parents must have later had another son and named him Michele as well - something we have discussed here in the past.
Carmine

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Any idea about why it was recorded so long after?

T.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Tessa78 wrote:Any idea about why it was recorded so long after?

T.
It is the Lista di Leva. When he - theoretically - came of age for compulsory military service, the notation was made that he was excused due to his prior death. The notation was made in 1903 because that is the year that he would have come due, at age 19.

Which raises another question (Riccardo? Where are you?) - were names entered into the Lista di Leva at birth and then reviewed 19 years later when the other details were added (height, hair/eye/complexion color, etc, and disposition)?

If not, how did Michele get on the list, considering that he had already been dead for 18 years?
Carmine

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Carmine, you may be correct about it being the cause and not a place...

Maybe some form of this noun?

malore
s.m. (med.) attack, seizure, illness; (svenimento) fainting fit: fu colto da un improvviso -, he was taken ill all of a sudden (o he had a sudden illness).

That looks like it may be an "o" after the "l"...

T.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Te lista di leva was compiled from either civil birth records or baptismal records. Then each name was checked to see why they didn't register or show up for military service.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.