Appointment Scheduling?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
williamsburger
Rookie
Rookie

Appointment Scheduling?

Post by williamsburger »

Hello, everyone! Thank you all so much for the guidance you've provided thus far -- it's been invaluable.

In reading these boards, I've been struck by how long of a waiting period there seems to be for consulate appearances. My plan had been to apply for my citizenship with the Newark Consulate, and it sounds like it may be several months before they'll even see me.

I'm wondering -- does it make any sense at all to request an appointment before all my paperwork is fully finalized? At this point, the only things I'm waiting on are my great-grandmother and great-grandfather's Italian birth certificates and marriage license, as well as translations of all my American documentation. I'm reasonably certain that none of these will pose a problem -- should I schedule my visit with the Newark authorities now, under the assumption that I'll be ready by then? Or is this in violation of standard operating procedure?

Thanks so much!
mler
Master
Master

Re: Appointment Scheduling?

Post by mler »

Most certainly. I believe the wait period is about a year. You will have all your documents by that time. Even if, for some reason, you do not, you can file your application and submit additional documents by mail.
Gianna75010
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gianna75010 »

I agree with mler. Definitely schedule the appointment at the Newark Consulate now. I requested an appointment last Jan/Feb and was given one at the end of November.

Also, specific to the Newark consulate: I originally sent an email requesting an appointment to which I received no response (although they say you can request one via email on their website). They actually have a form on their website that you need to complete and submit along with copies of your ancestor's documents from Italy (i think just birth certificate & certificate of citizenship - it's on the form).

Be prepared if you don't hear back right away after submitting the application for an appointment. It took about 5 weeks from when they received my application via mail to schedule me an appointment via email.

Good luck and keep us posted!!
williamsburger
Rookie
Rookie

Post by williamsburger »

thank you both so much for your advice! based on your comments, i contacted the newark consulate and received an appointment date -- august 31, 2011.

technically, the appointment's for my mother, as the consulate informed me she needed to be processed as a citizen before i could. hopefully i'll be able to go to the meeting and sit with her to help with everything.... now, off to get these documents translated!
Gianna75010
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gianna75010 »

Why did the consulate tell you that your mother had to be processed as a citizen before you could? Are you a minor?
williamsburger
Rookie
Rookie

Post by williamsburger »

Gianna75010 wrote:Why did the consulate tell you that your mother had to be processed as a citizen before you could? Are you a minor?
I'm not a minor, but apparently that's part of their procedure now (or at least that's what I've gathered from everyone here); the new system is that the closest living relative applies on the basis of jure sanguinis, and then his/her descendants can just apply based on their relation to him/her.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Some consulates seem to be taking this approach now, however it is not entirely clear what would happen if the "closest living relative" - or any other for that matter - was not interested in applying for jus sanguinis recognition and refused to cooperate.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
williamsburger
Rookie
Rookie

Post by williamsburger »

johnnyonthespot wrote:Some consulates seem to be taking this approach now, however it is not entirely clear what would happen if the "closest living relative" - or any other for that matter - was not interested in applying for jus sanguinis recognition and refused to cooperate.
Carmine,

That's actually something I was wondering about.... How frustrating it would be, to do all of the legwork and then be stymied by an uninterested relative! I hope I can convince my mother to take a morning off from work next summer to come to the Italian consulate with me. Shouldn't be too hard! :roll:
Gianna75010
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gianna75010 »

That's interesting because I made an appointment at the Newark Consulate for citizenship through GGF-GF-F-Me. My grandfather is deceased but my father is living. They didn't tell me that my father has to request citizenship before I can. I was planning on bringing my father to the appointment anyway. Now I'm thinking that maybe I should ask the consulate first.

Did they tell you if you and your mother can apply during the same appointment? Do you have to wait until her citizenship is recognized before you can apply?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

At least some consulates (New York and LA for sure) permit a very simple process for granting citizenship to adult children of jus sanguinis applicants

For example, about a year after my own citizenship was approved, I simply filled out the form, attached a copy of my adult son's birth certificate along with apostille and translation, and mailed all to the NYC consulate. A week later he had his letter of recognition and invitation to apply for his Italian passport whenever convenient.

See "HOW TO REGISTER A CERTIFICATE OF BIRTH/MARRIAGE/DEATH" at http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/Consol ... to_civile/
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Gianna75010
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gianna75010 »

Carmine,

Were you required to wait a year before registering your son's birth certificate to grant him citizenship? Is it possible for my father to get citizenship and the same day file my birth certificate so that I get citizenship? My father will get citizenship for me if it is required, but I don't want to wait another year after he gets citizenship to get my citizenship. The fact that the parent has to get citizenship before the child is new to me. I have a friend who got citizenship in Philly and she was granted citizenship through her grandfather even though her father did not get citizenship.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Gianna75010 wrote:Carmine,

Were you required to wait a year before registering your son's birth certificate to grant him citizenship? Is it possible for my father to get citizenship and the same day file my birth certificate so that I get citizenship? My father will get citizenship for me if it is required, but I don't want to wait another year after he gets citizenship to get my citizenship. The fact that the parent has to get citizenship before the child is new to me. I have a friend who got citizenship in Philly and she was granted citizenship through her grandfather even though her father did not get citizenship.
No, I waited only for my own personal convenience and because my son (aged 23 at the time) had no urgent need or desire. I see no reason why it could not be processed immediately after your father's own citizenship was granted.

As to the "...fact that the parent has to get citizenship before the child", I wonder if this is more of an assumption on the part of the consular official; assuming that the parent will want citizenship also, it makes complete sense that he/she should go first.

Of course, the parent's citizenship eligibility always needed to be determined first (if your father is not eligible for Italian citizenship, then you aren't either), but some consulates now seem to be insisting that the parent actually be granted citizenship first. In the past, they would ensure that the living parent was eligible and then move on directly to the child without actually processing the parent as a citizen.

Did that make sense? :?
Carmine

Gianna75010
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gianna75010 »

I definitely makes sense. I'm just wondering why the Newark consulate didn't say anything to me about my father or grandfather (they don't know he's deceased from my application) needing to get citizenship before I do when I made the appointment. I was going to email them to see if my parents could accompany me to the appointment anyway. Maybe I'll ask if they can come and see what the consulate says.