send emails to Communes.

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mike123
Rookie
Rookie

send emails to Communes.

Post by mike123 »

I am sure of where my GGF is born but to be safe is it a good idea to send emails to multiple communes? I know he was from naples and he lived in Naples city but maybe he was born else where? anyone have any thoughts or ideas? where can I get the emails?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: send emails to Communes.

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Mike, do you have your GGF's exact date of birth or just an approximation?

Have you found his passenger manifest with details of his arrival in the US?

Have you found naturalization documents for him?

Have you found a WWI and/or WWII draft registration card for him?

Any of these documents may help ascertain with some degree of certainty the exact place of birth. There are many small comuni located on the outskirts of Napoli and it is not practical (nor fair) to contact all of them, especially if you do not have an exact date of birth.

Googling "comune di [some name]" will usually get you a link to the comune's official web site. From there, look for a link "Uffici", "Servizi", or "Contatti" and then for an email address for "Stato Civile", "Anagrafe", or "Demografico" in that order.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
mike123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mike123 »

I agree with you but, at this point i don't know what to do his naturalization records just say Naples as well as his ship manifest. I do believe he lived in the main city of Naples and I know the area but of course his birth can be a differed story
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

Mike,
Like you, I too was not sure where my Grandfather was born. I was told Naples. I sent a request to:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Napoli
80126 Napoli NA
Italia

I had a response within 3 weeks, he was in fact born in Vicaria, Naples.
You have nothing to lose but the postage. There is no fee.
Good luck,
Drew
scannavino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by scannavino »

Carmine, I was just wondering where I would get copies of naturalization records?

I know on my grandfathers manifest from ellis island it had numbers and a date of naturalization....How could I get a hold of those documents? If there is even a possible way....

thanks for your help on my other forum posts too :)
mike123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mike123 »

I am sure on the date of birth. I am unsure however of where he was born I just know where he lived at one point possibly. the naturalization records just say naples and other documents just say italy. so what should I do? I need advice. and no military record was found.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

scannavino wrote:Carmine, I was just wondering where I would get copies of naturalization records?

I know on my grandfathers manifest from ellis island it had numbers and a date of naturalization....How could I get a hold of those documents? If there is even a possible way....

thanks for your help on my other forum posts too :)
Sorry, I missed this one.

The handwritten notations you see on the manifest most likely relate to a "Certificate of Arrival" which was issued on the date indicated. If you read through this thread ( http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/view ... 53306.html ) you can find a (somewhat lively) discussion of this document and its purpose. Suffice to say that it usually marks the beginning of an immigrant's citizenship quest, not the end.

In the US, immigrants were able to naturalize in local, county, state, or federal courts. To some extent, the earliest naturalizations took place in local courts and, as the years went by, the other courts became the more common routes.

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) holds copies of all immigration records for cases after September xx, 1906. In that sense, it is the "go to" place for these records; except that it is one of the most costly and slowest perfroming of all the venues. You can visit http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 18190aRCRD and click the "Order Online Now" link on the right. You will need to first order an "Index Search" and then, assuming the search comes back positive, proceed with an actual "Records Request".

Another option - faster and less expensive - is the National Archives. Unfortunately, for most parts of the country, NARA only holds naturalization records from the federal courts. Start here https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... chives.gov and click Order Reproductions, then Immigration & Naturalization Records.

If you have a good lock on where your ancestor naturalized, you can also try contacting the local courts or city/county archives to inquire about availability of naturalization records.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)