Born upstate NY, can I order my birth cert. in NYC?

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Born upstate NY, can I order my birth cert. in NYC?

Post by JPMessina44 »

I was born in Suffern, NY, approx 30 minutes north of Manhattan. Would I be able to walk into the Department of Health in New York City and get my birth certificate there or will I have to order from New York State Department of Health?

This may be an obvious answers here, but I'm going to pick up my grandmother, grandfather, mother and fathers birth ceritifcate in Manhattan, so was hoping to kill two birds with one stone.

Second questions: I assume if I have to go to NY State department, I won't be able to get an apostille in NYC?

Thanks!
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Born upstate NY, can I order my birth cert. in NYC?

Post by maestra36 »

http://www.health.ny.gov/vital_records/

There is a link for walk-in service but it is not in Manhattan. It's in upstate NY-I believe it's in Albany County.
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JPMessina44 »

Thanks Maestra, thats what I thought as well. I ended up ordering my birth cert from vitalchek. I'm in Jersey City, so going to Manhattan is a matter of a 5 minutes train ride but Albany is a couple of hours.

Thanks!
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

As far as I know, anyone born outside the 5 boroughs has to go through a different mailing address. The 5 boroughs has its own address. If you google it will tell you. I believe upstate NY is albany and the 5 boroughs is a place down on Chambers in manhattan. these are where you would order records from