In 19th Century Italy what was an Arbitriante (sic).

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ajcris13
Rookie
Rookie

In 19th Century Italy what was an Arbitriante (sic).

Post by ajcris13 »

I have see an occupation listed as arbitriante. I can't find a definition.
nazca
Elite
Elite

Re: In 19th Century Italy what was an Arbitriante (sic).

Post by nazca »

Hi,
i don't know if someone just answered to you: the word "arbitrante" was used in Catania province to define a farmer who pays the rent of the land to the landlord.

regards.
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
ajcris13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ajcris13 »

Thank you Nazca.

You have confirmed what I thought it might be. I have also heard that the title was also used for farmers that sub-leased the rented farm land to other farmers. Have you heard of this as well?

Thanks
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi,
yes sub-leasing define the same title for farmer.

regards.
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
ajcris13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ajcris13 »

Thank you very much Nazca for your help