US naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Faina

US naturalization

Post by Faina »

Hi,

I open this forum to find ut the following general information.

I found that my ggfather was naturalized in US in 1949 and I obtained a copy of his Certificate of naturalization. To obtain the US citizenship he rhas renounced to the italian citizenship.
Considering this I went to the Stato civile of his town of origin here in Italy to see what result from the italian public registers, but I have found not evidence of this chage on citizenship.
How is it possible?

Is it possible that the Italian State did not received any information from US Institution about emigrants naturalization in US? What was the procedure?
How were considered these persons for Italian State? Deserters or something similar?

It seems me very strange that Italy had no evidences of changes in citizenship of its native.

Tks
jennabet
Master
Master

Re: US naturalization

Post by jennabet »

Ciao buongiorno. The only way Stato Civile in your GGF's town would know that he renounced his Italian citizenship to become a Naturalized American is if he personally told them or if he contacted an Italian consulate in his new country but the USA has no responsibility to inform the country of origin about this change.

And no, Italians were not deserters. They were free to leave just like you are free to leave.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

why are you asking? did he naturalize before your Grand fathers birth?
Faina

Post by Faina »

When I started my genealogy research I went to Stato civile on my ggfather's town of origin and in the birth act they have no evidences that he emigrated in US. After I found all the information about my ggfather naturalization and it seems to me veri strange that Italy has not received any information about this.

My ggfather was naturalized after my grandfather birth. My grandfather never emigrated in US. He knew his father was naturalized but I think they did not know exactly what appened against italian Institutions.

Stato civile has my ggfather birth act, his marriage act but they have not the death act as my ggfather was never died for them. This his very strange because there are not other positions still opened for my ggfather.

Tks
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

In the birth act and in marriage act, in Italian town of origin, it are no evidence of naturalization in foreign country as a well of emigration; if the emigrant, your ggfather, by consulate or by itself, no sent the certificate of US naturalization in italian birth place, the italian birthplace know nothing abt that; as a well if the descendents no sent the US death certificate in italian birth place, also in Italy nobody can know abt that, and the death is no registered in death registry ...
that is a common situation for many italians emigrated in foreign country and never back in Italy....
In Italian birthplaces are the documents abt the civil records of Italy, and it are the transcriptions of records abt italians in foreign country but only if the emigrant or the Italian consulate in USA, send it in Italy...

I found transcription in italian death registries abt italians (no naturalized) decesead in USA, sent from Italian Consulate in USA; also it sent from a son of italian emigrant, bypassing the italian consulate; I found the transcription of birthact of child born from italians in foreign country, that sent the foreign birth certificate for transcription of birth also in Italy...
So the Italian Commune have no responsibility if a emigrant no sent further infos in own italian birthplace....
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Faina

Post by Faina »

Tks

But how did it work? For Italian law, persons who emigrated in foreign countries where they have been naturalized lose the italian citizenship automaticaly? Or they were considered having a double citizenship like it happens today?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

they lose COMPLETELY the italian citizenship from naturalization date and after this date cannot transmit more the italian citizenship, because they are US citizen to 100%; they transmitted the italian citizenship only before US naturalization date

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Faina

Post by Faina »

Tks Suanj

My ggfather before his naturalization married a US native and with her he adopted a daughter who was born in US by US natives.
So, she could have been naturalized in Italy if she wanted, but only losing us citizenship. Is it correct?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

no, the adpted daughter( US native) she could have been naturalized in Italy if she wanted WITHOUT losing US citizenship, and so having dual citizenship..
as I know... because the adopted children having same rights of biological children

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH