Cavello

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
sued

Cavello

Post by sued »

Is, or was, there any place in Italy called Cavello? Researching surname CARIONE/CARRIONE.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Cavello

Post by PeterTimber »

Using both surnames in the www.gens.labo.net surname locator for Italy the same regions have people with the surnames carione and carrione. Presumably Cavallo or some inclusion of the word Cavallo with other words might be the most efficiacious town to use. Go to www.nonsolocap.it and just put in Cavallo in the top and a listing of all Cavallo and combination of the word cavallo. If none of these listed towns appear familiar to you then go to www.paginebianche.it and put in Carione first and the regions of Lombardia, Toscana, Piemonte, Emilia Romagna, Campania, Puglia and lastly Veneto. Do the same for Carrione so you do not miss any. Put in the names in the first line and (one at a time please!) and in the third line put in the regions and click CERCA>

This presupposes that the town Cavallo and its combinations are the right town. I will chekc out ellisisland on the off chance your family came thru NYC as immigrants and perhaps find the right surname as well. Will get back toyou. =Peter=
sued

Post by sued »

Peter,

Thank you so much for your suggestions! Cavallo, according to my Italian dictionary, means, small horse - hmmm. But it also seems to be the suffix to lots of places it Italy. So I have my work cut out for me, but that's the "fun" of genealogy - right?!? Also, I did find some Carrione's at the pageinebiannche site - lots to do!

Thanks again
Sue
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

dEAR sUED THERE ARE IN iTALY TOWNS WITH SUBURBS OR NEIGHBORHOODS BUILT OF AABSORBED BY THE PRINCIPAL TOWN AND THEY ARE CALLED "FRAZIONE".

There is one of these "FRAZIONE" called Cavallo which is located inthe comune (town) of Lauria Postale 85044 (prov. Potenza) Basilicata region. There are no carione or Carrione located there at the present time nor in the entire region for that matter.

Thought this might help explain further while your having fun. =Peter=
palmgps

Post by palmgps »

You had indicated that you were looking for Carione or Carrione from Cavella. I am looking for Donato Cirone or Donatantonio Cirone from Cavella. He came to the United States in 1903, traveling to Pittston, PA.
I was thinking that he traveled from Pittston, PA to Derry, PA where he at some point married Carmella (Camilla) Bruno and fathered 4 children when he was run over and killed by a train in Derry in 1918.

Mary
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The correct location, shown in Ellis Island manifest for Donatantonio Cirone, is Calvello, province of Potenza (PZ).
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Welcome Mary! :-)

Do you have the manifest and US records for Donatantonio Cirone from Calvello?

T.
palmgps

Post by palmgps »

I located the manifest on Ellisisland.org
Donatantonio Cirone,
ship: Roma,
2/26/1903
last residence: Calvello, Italy
destination: Pittston, PA
24 years old
father Guiseppi (spelling?) already there

I have nothing else. I am trying to determine from where in Italy, Donato Cirone came. His first child was born around 1911/12 in Derry, PA.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

palmgps wrote:I located the manifest on Ellisisland.org
Donatantonio Cirone,
ship: Roma,
2/26/1903
last residence: Calvello, Italy
destination: Pittston, PA
24 years old
father Guiseppi (spelling?) already there

I have nothing else. I am trying to determine from where in Italy, Donato Cirone came. His first child was born around 1911/12 in Derry, PA.
You may request his birth act to:

Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza Falcone 1
85010 Calvello PZ
Italy

Form letters in Italian are available at
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resources/letters/ and
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Posting the manifest for reference. :D

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0025

I believe this is the town of origin.

Calvello, comune of Calvello - province: Potenza - region: Basilicata

Hi Tessa! :D
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Ciao Livio,

You beat me to it!!!!!

Spelling is Giuseppe (Joseph)
c6mitchell
Rookie
Rookie

Post by c6mitchell »

I sent an email to this address as-pz@beniculturali.it to request my g-grandfather's birth record in Calvello and did receive a response. The response was that no mother or father was listed, there was a responsible party and 2 witnesses. On the microfilm from the LDS a friend located more information for me. Be sure to give as much information as you can in addition to your email address.

Somewhere in my file I have a record of a Rocco Abiuso's baptism (abt 1853) and the godparents in Calvello were Antonio and Anna Rosaria Cirone. I have a Luigi Abiuso marriage record to Maria Teresa Cirone I have kept them in case I ever figure out if these Abiuso's were related to me.

My g-grandfather Sisto Abbiuso was born 28 March 1854 in Calvello and I believe his mother died in childbirth.

I do not understand Italian but have looked at the film from Calvello. It is not a wealthy community and some records are handwritten and hard to understand.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

All the records of this era are handwritten. It has nothing to do with how rich or poor the comune was. I would imagine that some people had better handwriting than others!
c6mitchell
Rookie
Rookie

Post by c6mitchell »

You are correct. The records are handwritten. I should have said that not all the records I looked at were handwritten on a form.