Organization of Materials for Appointment

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Organization of Materials for Appointment

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

Ciao tutti,

I have been gathering docs for the past few years for my jure sanguinis application, but have been just leaving them in a drawer with all my other genealogy docs. Does anyone have any suggestions for organizing them? I'm thinking of using a 3-Ring Binder or maybe just an oversized envelope.

Also, does the citizenship official look at the docs in chronological order or by type of doc? I'm guessing they start with me and all my docs then work their way back to my GGF. Is that correct?

Grazie!
mler
Master
Master

Re: Organization of Materials for Appointment

Post by mler »

Actually, they start with your ggf and work their way up to you. In that way they can trace the citizenship line in the manner in which it was passed from generation to generation.

I arranged the documents in separate folders for each person in the citizenship line. Within each folder, I organized the documents chronologically and attached a copy and a translation to the back of the apostilled document. Each folder also contained a typewritten summary of the documents included.

I also prepared a summary sheet outlining the citizenship line (including dates and all documents). When I applied, only the documents of the citizenship line were necessary, and that is all I submitted.
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

So it's the opposite of what I was thinking. Thanks for the help, I'll get to organizing this mess and hope I haven't lost anything ;)
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

mler wrote:Actually, they start with your ggf and work their way up to you. In that way they can trace the citizenship line in the manner in which it was passed from generation to generation.

I arranged the documents in separate folders for each person in the citizenship line. Within each folder, I organized the documents chronologically and attached a copy and a translation to the back of the apostilled document. Each folder also contained a typewritten summary of the documents included.

I also prepared a summary sheet outlining the citizenship line (including dates and all documents). When I applied, only the documents of the citizenship line were necessary, and that is all I submitted.
Emily I remember you telling me how you had it nice and organized for your appt. Thanks fro sharing again because I was actually going to contact you about it, lol!