No Record Found from USCIS

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

No Record Found from USCIS

Post by Drew927 »

I've had my No Record letter from the USCIS since April and just recently learned that line 4 has to be amended. I sent a request to change the wording on Sept 11th and have not received a response. I followed up with another request on Oct 15th.
My appt with the NYC consulate is March 1st. Am I panicking too soon? Is there any contact info for Mike Quinn's office to check on the status of my request?

My father was born in 1929 and the 1930 Census lists my grandfather as an alien. Do you think this will carry some weight if the amended Certificate does not arrive before my appt?

Any thoughts?
Drew
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: No Record Found from USCIS

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The census will carry some weight, but only if you have a certified copy (which can be obtained from the National Archives).

The letter you already have will carry a lot of weight; it just won't be accepted with your formal application. But, that's okay - the NYC consulate will likely find other things to complain about as well. I don't know too many cases where an application was accepted by NYC on the first appointment.

:)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

Thanks Carmine,
My census is certified from the NARA and I also have No Record letters from 4 separate County Clerks. I have been at this for some time and i don't want to trip at the finish line.

Drew
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

who do people keep mentioning a census ? do I need one? or is it to support another document?
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

As Carmine mentioned, a census record will support a claim that your relative did not naturalize. It will be used with a letters from the USCIS, NARA and all counties your relative lived. If you are going to need a certified Census record you'll need to request it from the National Archives(NARA).
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

A census record won't help if your ancestor gave conflicting dates of arrival and listed himself as Naturalized when all other documents say he was not. Letters from USCIS and the local court(s) should suffice.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

jennabet wrote:A census record won't help if your ancestor gave conflicting dates of arrival and listed himself as Naturalized when all other documents say he was not. Letters from USCIS and the local court(s) should suffice.
We agree it (census) is meaningless, but some consulates actually require a certified copy of a census, dated after the birth of the next in lineage, which indicates the Italian immigrant ancestor was eaither "AL" (Alien) or "PA" (Papers submitted).

From both the Miami and Los Angeles websites:
4) YOUR FATHER'S CERTIFICATE OF NATURALIZATION or his Italian passport and "Alien Registration Card" ("green card").
If your father became a US citizen but his Certificate of Naturalization is not available, you must provide the following:

a) Official statement (in original, not photocopy, and with the Office Seal) from the US Immigration and Naturalization Services in Washington D.C. (425 I Street NW, 2nd Floor - ULLICO Bldg, Washington, D.C. 20536) and from the Court County in which he resided, stating the number of the Certificate of Naturalization and the date of his naturalization. The statement must show your father's full name (and any other names he went by on any official documents), place of birth and date of birth, date of the naturalization, certificate number. If he never became a US citizen, you must show his Italian passport and Alien Registration Card.

b) IF THE RESEARCH SHOWS NO RECORD: you are requested to double check with the National Archives (www.nara.gov) requesting a full search under his name and nicknames, possible dates of birth which he may have declared in the course of his life. If the record is found, you will obtain from the National Archives a certified copy of his "petition for naturalization" and "oath of allegiance" (Please note: we may at any time request that you present documentation from the National Archives - in case of discrepancies - to confirm the identity reported on the certificate of naturalization).

c) If the record is still negative, you may want to check with the "CENSUS", requesting a survey report dated after your date of birth (www.census.org);

http://www.consmiami.esteri.it/Consolat ... tadinanza/

While c) might seem to be optional, there have been many reports of applicants who had to produce a certified census as part of their document package.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

What if its not listed as something I need? Philly sent me a document with what I need and I see nothing about a census. Do they ask once your there? Is it all censuses leading up to the next generation in my direct line?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

DeFilippis78 wrote:What if its not listed as something I need? Philly sent me a document with what I need and I see nothing about a census. Do they ask once your there? Is it all censuses leading up to the next generation in my direct line?
Not every consulate requires the census document; realistic people know that they are wrong as often as they are correct.
Carmine

Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

If you can obtain a certified census record that has correct information or even minor errors, why not get it. In my opinion, it is just dotting the i's and crossing the t's.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Philly did my paperwork. No mention whatsoever about Census. Furthermore, not everyone is always in the right place at the right time to answer a Census. While a Census does count the majority, it's impossible for it to count everybody.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

My concern is NO ONE can find the census for him for 1900. Thats the one I would need and not me, NJ archives, or hired genealogists can find it. Its been my nemesis for a year. Thats how long Ive tried to hunt it down. I have only one other census for him and its 1910 and everything is off. I mean EVERY THING! He died young in 1918 so there is no 1920 obviously.

Alicia
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Sorry for my two cents. What about state census 1905? for Pennsylvania.

Check with the state to see if one was done.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SChiarini »

Drew,

I'm also having the same problem. I learned about the new letter from USCIS with the amended lines about 3 weeks before my apt in Sept. I sent out a letter Sept 11th as well, and a follow up letter a few weeks later. I still have not heard anything back, however, I only sent their original letter and a copy of a letter from NARA (i had a census and a certified letter from a county court) but I had already handed those in to the consulate.

At my apt they told me I would need the new letter with the new wording.

Any advice?
SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SChiarini »

Drew,

I'm also having the same problem. I learned about the new letter from USCIS with the amended lines about 3 weeks before my apt in Sept. I sent out a letter Sept 11th as well, and a follow up letter a few weeks later. I still have not heard anything back, however, I only sent their original letter and a copy of a letter from NARA (i had a census and a certified letter from a county court) but I had already handed those in to the consulate.

At my apt they told me I would need the new letter with the new wording.

Any advice?