favor to ask, please search something

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

favor to ask, please search something

Post by beauac »

Anybody have ancestry.com? Can you search NYC births there? I was sure you could search the databases at italiangen.org for a 1900 birth but apparently it starts from 1901. I need to see if there is a birth record for Donato Caruso, born in Manhattan on either September 23 or 26, 1900. His parents were Luigi Caruso and Speciosa Caruso. Thanks.
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Re: favor to ask, please search something

Post by DebiHarbuck »

I found this possibility:

Giuseppe D. Caruso 20 Sep 1900 Certificate #47333
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Post by beauac »

Thanks for trying but I don't think thats him. Maybe another relative though.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

Just because its not on ancestry.com does not mean its not there. and remember alot of people changed their names. My Grandpa was born Felice. I did no know this untill recently . that Giuseppe might be him.
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Even now, lots of folks use their middle names as their every-day names. I am curious, beauac, why you don't think it's a possibility?

Also, it's true that not every record is indexed (on Ancestry or anywhere) and there were a lot of births in the tenements at that time that were never recorded. However, that is the only record in the NY Births index that comes anywhere close to what you are looking for. If it was my family, I'd certainly spend the $15 to find out. :)
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

I have to agree. back then it was not a set rule that you must record the births. I am sure this crossed your mind but does anyone know where he was baptized or even where he took first communion ? something to prove a record he existed?