Correcting Names New Jersey

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ande
Rookie
Rookie

Correcting Names New Jersey

Post by ande »

Does anyone have an idea if the state will correct or ammend my birth certificate and my parents marriage certificate? My mother's maiden name is wrong on both documents. The proof that I have of her correct name is her birth certificate and her death certificate that shows her father's correct last name. If not, will the consulate consider the evidence? Both my parents are deceased. I did ask this before in a previous post.
Thanks, Ande
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Correcting Names New Jersey

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Ande, excuse my forgetting your details - is your mother a direct-line ascendant, or are you actually going through your father?

If you are going through your father, then most consulates will never even look at your mother's (or any non direct-line person's) birth or death certificates regardless of what their websites imply to the contrary. If they don't look at those documents, there will be no way for them to tell a discrepancy exists. Correct?

Nevertheless, I am a great believer if fixing anything that can be fixed, both to make a jus sanguinis application easier and also so that future generations will find their own genealogical research easier. I suggest the best answer to your question will come from the New Jersey Vital Records Corrections Unit; the phone number is in the third paragraph on this page: http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/amend.shtml
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
ande
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Correcting Names New Jersey

Post by ande »

Carmine,
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I can't go through my father's line because his father naturalized before my father was born. I have to go through my mother's father which is where the name issues are. I have been unsuccessful in getting a definitive answer from the State of New Jersey so I thought I'd ask the forum.
My grandfather's name was Masino but my mother had it wrong as Messina. Her birth certificate from NYC says Giuseppina Masino but her marriage certificate from NJ says Jean Messina. Her death certificate lists her father's name correctly as Masino but states her first name as Jean a.k.a Josephine. My birth certificate has her incorrect maiden name- Jean Messina.
I will try to have the state ammend my birth certificate first and then her marriage certificate but am unsure if they'll do it. I guess I'm asking if you think the consulate will consider the documents with the errors and explanations as valid?
Ande