Error on naturalization records

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Error on naturalization records

Post by sceaminmonkey »

So I have mentioned it before but want to again . My ggf birthday is off on his nat records .his petition says sept 5th 1887 . His actual record says march 5th 1887. Those are attached. His real bday is sept 5th 1886. Since nat records cant be amended what should I do?
mike123
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Error on naturalization records

Post by mike123 »

I have a similar problem. I thought there was nothing that can be done.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

There is nothing that can be done. My own experience (NYC, mid-2008) was that the consulate cut me some slack on the mis-matched birthdates (admittedly, only a few days), presumably because the majority of details did match up.

This brings up a point for Beau and everyone else: the consulate may complain about a number of issues during the interview; so much so as to leave you feeling the situation is hopeless. But then they eventually accept your application even with some anomalies (birthdates, names like Antony/Antonio/Anthony) and ultimately give their stamp of approval.

Who knows why they do this? I see it either as a reminder that they are in charge and you're not, or as a kind of test to ensure that you are truly ready to be an Italian citizen. If you can't stand the heat...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

Do you think it is worth me going to the NARA and requesting a search under the different dates to prove that this is indeed my GGF? how would I do that? can I do that in person? I live in NYC not to far from the NARA
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

Some applicants have been asked to provide a 'Positivo/Negativo' from the Italian ancestor's original comune. This may provide the additional proof or clarification in order to satisfy the consulate, especially when there are discrepancies in naturalization documents that cannot be amended. You can choose to go ahead and obtain one before your appointment, or wait to see what the consulate says about the errors when they review them in person.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

positive or negative what? I dont understand.
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JavaisLife »

I couldn't find the template on here - but I found it in the other forum (sorry).

Positivo-negativo template.
From my understanding, you write to your ancestors commune asking for a search to be done saying that no one else w/ your ancestors exact name was born around the time. I guess you'd write asking about the date w/ the error.

http://italiancitizenship.freeforums.or ... t1042.html

Here's a directory of all the communes addresses:
http://www.comuni-italiani.it/001/index.html

Good Luck!
Marie

ps - I don't think you need to do this, but sometimes having additional paperwork to support your case is just good to have as backup.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

does anyone think that this letter will help? one page page of the nat records it says september 5th 1887 so they are just off by 1 year . I dunno what to do. I dont want this to hinder my application.
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Post by beauac »

The consulate did not care about the birthdate discrepancies on my gggf naturalization. But then again it was only off by four days. That was the only mistake they did not care about.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

mine is off by a year. Probally better for me to cover my a$*
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

beauac did they actually say the ones on the naturalization records are not a big deal?
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Post by beauac »

Well I was trying to understand their Italian. I think the guy said something like, the birthdate is the 12th here, and the 8th on the other documents. They seem to have had no problem with my naturalization even with the discrepancy. I doubt they will make it a problem for you because they know it cant be amended. I really think they mainly cared about seeing the date when he naturalized.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

did they speak italian to you? and I dunno mine is off by a year and i am hearing from others its a problem I contacted Ricbru to get a positivo negativo letter. I am confiddent
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Post by beauac »

No they spoke English to me but 90 percent of the time they spoke Italian to each other while discussing my documents. Kind of weird that I understood most of it. Anyway, Good that you are getting the things you need from ricbru. Whatever happens to you I hope you will also write about it after your meeting.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

man I wish I understood italian. I am planing on taking it next semester. And I am currently writing a timeline. I am gona post it after my appointment. its very detailed from my amendments to the translations. I am gona post a novel after my appointment :D