DiMattia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DiMattia

Re: DiMattia

Post by DiMattia »

Hi my name is David DiMattia and i saw this website/forum/& Thread when i Googled DiMattia today.

I think you guys are hitting close to home on the DiMattia name at least for my family .. See I was Born in New Orleans LA. in 1979 my Mother is Patricia DiMattia who was also born in LA. my Grandfather Luke DiMattia was also born in LA. and from what i could find out from my mother the DiMattias are Sicilian.

We my Mother & I moved to Savannah GA area in the 80's and then in 2000 we (my wife, Son Ocean DiMattia & I) moved to the Jacksonville FL area. I still have much family that live in LA. Hammond / Iindependence area. In my google search i found a DiMattia Insurance company in Baton Rouge La. Im not sure if they are related to my family or not but its the first time i hear of it.

I also know of some DiMattias up north around NJ area and I also Just found out that there is a DiMattia reporter for local news paper here in Jacksonville.

I am pretty sure that my Great Grandfathers name was Luca DiMattia
rmccray

Post by rmccray »

DiMattia wrote:Hi my name is David DiMattia and i saw this website/forum/& Thread when i Googled DiMattia today.

I think you guys are hitting close to home on the DiMattia name at least for my family .. See I was Born in New Orleans LA. in 1979 my Mother is Patricia DiMattia who was also born in LA. my Grandfather Luke DiMattia was also born in LA. and from what i could find out from my mother the DiMattias are Sicilian.

We my Mother & I moved to Savannah GA area in the 80's and then in 2000 we (my wife, Son Ocean DiMattia & I) moved to the Jacksonville FL area. I still have much family that live in LA. Hammond / Iindependence area. In my google search i found a DiMattia Insurance company in Baton Rouge La. Im not sure if they are related to my family or not but its the first time i hear of it.

I also know of some DiMattias up north around NJ area and I also Just found out that there is a DiMattia reporter for local news paper here in Jacksonville.

I am pretty sure that my Great Grandfathers name was Luca DiMattia
David,

I haven't come across a Luca or Luke DiMattia yet, but I'll be sure to post something if I find anything. I don't know about the insurance company either. I know the DiMattias had a shoe shop and a grocery store in Baton Rouge. Most of the other men were farmers. I believe they came to America because Sicily was have trouble with crops due to weather at the time.

Most of the DiMattia men are architects now along with the Accardo family.

I'm sure your Luca DiMattia is in the family though. As for Hammond/Independence... I live in Hammond now. :D

Thanks

-Rob
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Rob and David,

Don't know if this is your Luca... but I thought I'd pass it along...
More than likely a relative...

1910 Census for Hammond, LA
Luca, age 35, farmer
Wife Carina, 32
Children:
Lucy - 5
Julia - 3
Sammie - 1 yr. 7 months

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/7369 ... ca1910.jpg

T.
DiMattia

Post by DiMattia »

Rob if your in hammond you have to know some of "MY" DiMattias My grandfather was Luke DiMattia Passed away 07 My Uncle and Godfather is his son Luke DiMattia Jr. I have a Uncle Tommy DiMattia and Aunt Tammy DiMattia .. my Grandfather Luke DiMattia has a Twin Angelo DiMattia who is still alive. You HAVE to know some of them most are in Independence but I know my Aunt Tammy and Uncle Luke both work in Hammond.
rmccray

Post by rmccray »

Good news! I recieved my great grandfathers social security application that I requested. It doesn't really look like an application, but more like a small information card. I think there's more information my library card.

It seems that I was right about his POB, which is listed as Gibellina. I was kind of upset about the information in boxes areas set for the names of his father and mother. It seems as thought he entered his name in the father second and his wife's name in the mother section.

I also noticed that the spelling of the last name is still DiMattia. I know there was some question about whether it was spelled different.

I think that I will try and write the comune to see if there is a birth or baptism record under his name. Maybe I'll have some luck with that.

:lol:
rmccray

Post by rmccray »

Since Gibellina was destroyed by an earthquake in 1968, should I send my comune letter to Gibellina Nuova? If no, where should I send the letter?

Thanks
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Microfilmed records are available to rent at your nearest LDS Family History Center...

They have microfilmed the civil registrations (birth, marriage, death) for Gibellina from 1821 - 1910
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... +Gibellina++

Checking these is an option.

To find your nearest center, enter zip code at this site.
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

You must go to the center to order/rent film. It takes about 3-4 weeks to arrive. Then you must view at the center.

T.
rmccray

Post by rmccray »

Tessa78 wrote:Microfilmed records are available to rent at your nearest LDS Family History Center...

They have microfilmed the civil registrations (birth, marriage, death) for Gibellina from 1821 - 1910
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... +Gibellina++

Checking these is an option.

To find your nearest center, enter zip code at this site.
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

You must go to the center to order/rent film. It takes about 3-4 weeks to arrive. Then you must view at the center.

T.
I just placed a microfilm request. I hope that it doesn't take long to come in. I read that sometimes the film can be on back order.
rmccray

Post by rmccray »

The microfilm I ordered finally came in this week! I went my local library today view the film.

I was able to find my GGF's birth certificate in the 1886 Gibellina birth registry.

The registry was somewhat hard to read, but I was able to make out a few words and there were some parts that made perfect sense.

I noticed that the spelling of DiMattia is exactly the same as it is spelled today. There was some concern when I started my search that the last name may be spelled different.

I learned that his father and mother names were Giuseppe and Filippa.

The exact time of birth is somewhat hard to read, but that's not really important to me.

Any suggestions of where to go with it now. I guess that I could write the Comune to see if there are any other records available.

Ideas? Would you guys like to see a scanned copy of the one page document?

-rob
TommyDiMattia

Post by TommyDiMattia »

Yes, David,

That is your great grandfather, Luca DiMattia and the children are your great Aunts & Uncles. My dads (Luke Jr.) older sisters & brother. Sammie settled in Loranger, LA. his son and dauthers still live around the area. Sammie, children were Sammie Jr, Tammy, and Lisa. His Tammy and your aunt Tammy (My sister) were born the same day.
Luca, is said to have had 8 children with his first wife. And 8 with his second (Mary Irene Baham) Katey, Lukenia, Guy, Thresea, Annie, Arcangelo & Luke Jr (twins), Emelda.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi rob :-)
Would you guys like to see a scanned copy of the one page document?
If you want us to take a look and see if there is anything you missed, feel free to post it - here or in the Italian Translation forum -

T.
brad.cascio

Post by brad.cascio »

My name is Brad Cascio. I live in Hammond. I am attempting to research my family history. My grandmother is Zina DiMattia DePaula who married Sam DePaula. She is the daughter of Sam DiMattia and Angelina Dominick DiMattia. To my knowledge, Sam DiMattia's parents were Lucca DiMattia (maybe Leo Lucca) and Carina Sinatra DiMattia. If anyone could supple me with information/photos/birth certificates I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

brad.cascio@gmail.com
joedimattia

Post by joedimattia »

im a dimattia from northeast PA. i have some family in the phili area. and an uncle in Arkansas.

family was originally from Sicily
joedimattia

Post by joedimattia »

Jos and Mary are great great grandparents of mine. Any connection to people here?
rmccray

Post by rmccray »

joedimattia wrote:Jos and Mary are great great grandparents of mine. Any connection to people here?
I know Jos(Guiseppe)had two children before his marriage to Mary. Domenico(1885)and Maria(1888)were both born in Gibellina, Sicily with his first wife. I don't know if Jos had any children with Mary.

Do you know your line to them?