records of grandparents from ascoli piceno

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
augiedoggie

records of grandparents from ascoli piceno

Post by augiedoggie »

I am searching grandparents from ascoli piceno(not sure if that is also the town or just the province) who left Italy from Naples in 1905 for the usa.
I would appreciate help in sources in ascoli piceno to locate birth and marriage records,also to search back for their parents and siblings in A.P.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
david
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: records of grandparents from ascoli piceno

Post by suanj »

augiedoggie wrote:I am searching grandparents from ascoli piceno(not sure if that is also the town or just the province) who left Italy from Naples in 1905 for the usa.
I would appreciate help in sources in ascoli piceno to locate birth and marriage records,also to search back for their parents and siblings in A.P.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
david
David: and the surname is.....???
just for an help...
suanj
augiedoggie

Post by augiedoggie »

Hello Suanj;
Her name was pierina silvestri;his was vincenzo galie.
thanks,
dave
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

augiedoggie wrote:Hello Suanj;
Her name was pierina silvestri;his was vincenzo galie.
thanks,
dave
Hi Dave,

On Ellis Island, the information is below. Go to www.ellisisland.org and you will find it.

Also on the manifest it stated he went to see his father-i-law, Pietro Silvestri and was going back home to his wife in Conshohocken, PA.

First Name: Vincenzo
Last Name: Galie
Ethnicity: Italy
Last Place of Residence: Ascoli Piceno
Date of Arrival: April 25, 1912
Age at Arrival: 26y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Prinzess Irene
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0024

If this his him and they lived in Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, then I can tell you the ins and outs of how to get some records.

Have a good one.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
augiedoggie

Post by augiedoggie »

Hi Trish,and thanks for the helpful reply. Yes this is he. I remember that my grandmother said she had gone back to Italy for a visit.I did not realize that he went also. I wonder why she does not appear on the manifest.
Also, I had checked Ellis Island records and did not find this particular record.
I found that he-Vincenzo, and Pierina silvestri came over together in 1905 on the ship Montevideo, both from Ascoli piceno-and yes they settled in Conshohocken,my home town.
My question is two fold:why did I not find the 2nd trip in 1912;and why did not Pierina appear with Vincenzo on the 1912 manifest you found?
Anyway,these are my g-parents and any further help you can give as to records in Italy where they were both born,and married, would be most appreciated.
Thanks again
Dave
augiedoggie

Post by augiedoggie »

hello Trish(again);
I went to ellis island again and found the second trip of my g-father to italy and back.,in 1912, which you mentioned.
Interestingly,above his name is another passenger from A-p-who was coming to Conshy to visit his cousin Pierina-Vincenzo's wife. Another family member!
I was sure Pierina returned to italy,and recall that she delivered her first born son there(nazzarino sp?). I could be mistaken as I find no record of a 2nd trip by her.
I missed V.Galie as both the spelling of his first name and of ascoli piceno
vary a great deal on the ships manifests.
I have a handle on their first and last names,province they came from,ages,and a mariage shortly before the big trip to the us in 1905.
Can you direct me to records going back to their forebears? I also learned from you that Pierina's(feminine of Pietro) father's name was Pietro (silvestri)altho I was not able to see that on the ship's doc's anywhere.You have sharp eyes.care to tell me where that notation was?
Any help on records in Ascoli Piceno is appreciated.
Thanks again-mille grazias-David
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

augiedoggie wrote:oAny help on records in Ascoli Piceno is appreciated.
Hi David,

I will write more tomorrow. However, in the meantime, here is a link for the town of Ascoli Piceno.

http://www.comune.ascoli-piceno.it/index.asp

I'll go over your questions and will answer them tomorrow. Have a great night.
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

You have sharp eyes
and David, she also has amazing "brujaojos" (brown eyes) as well 8)

Hi Trish...
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

augiedoggie wrote:I went to ellis island again and found the second trip of my g-father to italy and back........me where that notation was?
Any help on records in Ascoli Piceno is appreciated.
Dear David,

I'm glad you found the 1912 Ellis Island manifest. It is a two page manifest. On the first page it list Vincenzo leaving his father-in-law Pietro in Ascoli Piceno. On page two it tells you he is going to see his wife in Conshohocken.

I also found the 1905 manifest you were talking.

First Name: Pierina
Last Name: Silvestri
Ethnicity: Italy - Italian
Last Place of Residence: Ajeoli Pieno
Date of Arrival: February 11, 1905
Age at Arrival: 18y Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Montevideo
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0012

Now there isn't microfilm for the town of Ascoli Piceno, but in another message, I posted the main website for the town itself. You can write to the town itself the birth acts of Pierina and Vincenzo. You can use this form letter from the link below to write the letter. http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Also don't forget to send two International Return Postage Coupons you get at the Post Office. They cost about $1.80 each and its about 80cents for Air Mail to mail the letter with the coupons.

One more thing, do you have Vincenzo's Naturalization records? If not, you can go to Montgomery County Archives in Norristown. Carol Faust is in charge of the place. She is a real doll-baby. The sweetest woman you want to meet. She is so helpful and there is a ton of information to look for there for Montgomery County. Everytime I go see Carol, I bring her Italian Cookies.:)

I hope this is all a help to you.
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
augiedoggie

Post by augiedoggie »

Dear Trish,
Thanks again,especially for the info that there is more than one page on the manifest....very helpful.
I will definately use the form letter to get birth records from A.P.
Yes, I did look for(by telephone) the naturalization records in Montgomery County, since family history states that Vincenzo was naturalized in 1921.
I even spoke with Carol. I was referred to Archives,but they could find no record of Vincenzo! I guess I need to go there personally and search the records.
Thanks again,
David
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

augiedoggie wrote:Dear Trish,
Thanks again,especially for the info that there is more than one page on the manifest....very helpful.
I will definately use the form letter to get birth records from A.P.
Yes, I did look for(by telephone) the naturalization records in Montgomery County, since family history states that Vincenzo was naturalized in 1921.
I even spoke with Carol. I was referred to Archives,but they could find no record of Vincenzo! I guess I need to go there personally and search the records.
Thanks again,
David
Hi David,

Go to Montgomery County Archives in person. My ancestors surnames were so butchered with the spelling that I was amazed I found them.

I wish you luck with your search.
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
augiedoggie

Post by augiedoggie »

Hello all,
I have found a naturalization certificate for grandfather Vincenzo Galie.
I have trouble locating his place of birth in Italy.

It is either 'Mazzino' or 'Mazzano'.

Also his wife Pierna is born in a place which I can not completely read from the document.

It is '_aggio di Bretta" . Paggio???"

Does anyone know these places in Italy?

Thanks

Dave
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi augiedoggie, cool name...

Right here.... at this forum....

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/index.php?name=locs

You might find the answers you are looking for... you can even do a "location sounds like" search too...

Should be Poggio di Bretta ....
---------
Mazzano/ino

Both names exist...
These are just examples... sure there's more out there...

Italy: City of Mazzano Romano (RM)

Villas in Italy : Mazzino, Le Marche ...
-----------

mfjp

Just looked at the map of Ascoli Piceno (courtesy of this forum locations database) and there is a place called Piagge... just south of Ascoli.... Poggio di Bretta is slightly north east of Ascoli.
augiedoggie

Post by augiedoggie »

Thanks for the info. I had already gone to that website ,and even using soundex, nothing shows up.
I did receive a reply from the ever helpful Sujna in Italy that there is a -Poggio Di Bretta and a Mozzano, both in Ascoli Piceno province.
I looked at the map on the website you mention, but when I enter Poggio di Bretta it comes up no record. Mozzano does appear.
Is there a better , more detailed map I can use to find these places.
Thanks again,
Dave
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Do a search of Ascoli...at the locations database and ZOOM in and you will see a better detailed map.

mfjp