In December of 2009 I wrote to the NYC Municipal Archives for my grandparents' marriage record within a 4-year range. They cashed the check but I hadn't heard by March so followed-up through the website. They wrote me back, said they checked and found no record. OK. We got the record from the church in Brooklyn where my parents were also married. But lately people seem to be saying that the consulate doesn't like the church records. Hoped being married was not as significant as being born!
We have also been looking for my GF's birth record for over a year. My brother did a Google search of all things for our GF's name and address and found a link to the Brooklyn Genealogy website that I'd checked out before. It was a 1923 Brooklyn Eagle article listing "Marriage Licenses." So now I wrote back to the Archives with a close date for the license and exact date of the marriage. And they found it! I am not going to complain about them because I'm so thrilled to find this link in the chain. I'm not saying everyone will find their records. But the more information you have, the more you'll find. (And they saved me a trip to the City.) Keep trying!
Keep Trying Story
- KarenChristino
- Veteran

- Posts: 202
- Joined: 19 Jul 2010, 14:26
- Location: Brooklyn, NY
Re: Keep Trying Story
That's great! I love it! I have some Brooklyn in my past and I am feeling frustrated trying to track it down. Not Italian though
That's the other side.
Any idea how to find out what Catholic church someone might have attended in the early 1900s based on their address?
Any idea how to find out what Catholic church someone might have attended in the early 1900s based on their address?
Re: Keep Trying Story
a list of Brooklyn churches, their specific locations, the years they were established-
http://mysite.verizon.net/timdesmond/files/churches.htm
http://mysite.verizon.net/timdesmond/files/churches.htm
- KarenChristino
- Veteran

- Posts: 202
- Joined: 19 Jul 2010, 14:26
- Location: Brooklyn, NY
Re: Keep Trying Story
That's an excellent resource because it gives the dates the churches opened. You can also go to the Brooklyn Diocese at http://dioceseofbrooklyn.org/parish_search.aspx which will give you the nearby churches if you enter an address. Working with both sites should give you most of what you need. Brooklyn is a big place! The recent news said there'd be more church closings, which probably means some old records will be moved to another location. But they do seem to keep and move the records nearby.
Re: Keep Trying Story
I know, for example, that my ancestors' parish of Our Lady of Loreto on Sackman Street is now defunct. The priest there was very nice in providing me with record copies years ago.

