Help Translating Ranieri Marriage Record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
stargazer200529
Rookie
Rookie

Help Translating Ranieri Marriage Record

Post by stargazer200529 »

I was able to translate a little bit of it. I would appreciate help translating the rest. There is also some handwriting in the right margin that I can't make out.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/5651/m ... oranie.png

This is what I have so far:

In the year 1865 the 7th of August at 12:00 we, (?) of the office of the civil State of Scontrone surrounding (?) province of Aquila, attest that on the 23 of July 1865 on Sunady (?)

I (?) of the Office of the Civil State of the town of Scontrone notify that, Antonio Ranieri of 22 of the profession sawyer living in Scontrone , son of Angelo Ranieri of the profession of sawyer living in Scontrone and of Vincenza Passarelli ? to Maria Felice Belli of 22 daughter of Pasquale Belli of the profession of farm hand living in Alfedena and of Matilda Valentini living in Alfedna intend to (?)

I would appreciate any help! Thanks!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Help Translating Ranieri Marriage Record

Post by Tessa78 »

This document is a notification of the intent to marry. Otherwise known as the marriage banns. It is not a marriage record.
This document is located in Part II of the Allegati, a collection of documents needed in the process of marriage.
The notification was posted by the official on the door of the town hall so that anyone who might have reason to oppose the marriage can be given the opportunity. This would be done three times before the marriage date.

The writing in the right column attests to the fact that as of 7 August 1865, there was no opposition presented to the marriage.

The date of 23 July, Sunday, would be the date that this notification was affixed to the door of the town hall.

As for the rest of the translation, you have done well. I would point out that there seems to be a word/name written before Vincenza's name. It looks like it could be Maria.

T.
stargazer200529
Rookie
Rookie

That's really interesting! Are there any hints as to where or when the actual wedding will take place so I can try to find the marriage record?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I have better luck with the allegati's for actually dates of stuff like Tessa said this is just one file of many in a allegati.Usually birth certificates of the bride and groom and death certificates of members of the family sometimes and usually the state marriage certificate with the actual dates of the marriage. Sometimes there is 10 pages or more in the file. Its good because let say they got married in Scontrone but they where born in different towns these will show.These documents could open a whole new world for you.
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Maria Felice Belli was from Alfedena, a town located just 1.6 km from Scontrone. Belli is the third most common surname in Alfedena. Valentini is also found in that town but is more common in Scontrone. A marriage usually takes place in the town where the bride lives and, in this case, the bride appears to be from Alfedena since her parents were living there at the time of the notificazioni. Luckily, the registri dello stato civile di Alfedena (L'Aquila), 1809-1865, has also been filmed by the LDS. FHL INTL Film 1167291 contains the marriage records for 1865. I suggest that you order this film and search for their marriage record, which would have been after August 7, 1865, the date of the second notice. If you cannot find it in 1865, then you will have to write to the comune since the film ends at 1865.

PS: The above film also has the processetti (aka allegati) records, 1864-1865. As Marty points out above, these records are very important and can provide a wealth of information. Hopefully, they will have married in 1865.
John Armellino
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

The date of July 23, 1865, was the date of the first notice of their intent to marry. Source: Scontrone, Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1865, FHL INTL Film 1422551, Atti di Notificazione 1865, Parte Prima, Numero d'ordine 6, 23 JUL 1865. The Notice attached to this thread was the second notice. Source: Scontrone, Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1865, FHL INTL Film 1422551, Atti di Notificazione 1865, Parte Seconda, Numero d'ordine 6, 07 AUG 1865. Hopefully, stargazer can find the marriage record in Alfedena in 1865.
John Armellino
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

I would point out that there seems to be a word/name written before Vincenza's name. It looks like it could be Maria.
The record reads in part, "...della fu Vincenza Passarelli..." -- stargazer might want to look for Vincenza's death record in the Scontrone films.
John Armellino
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

JohnArmellino wrote:
I would point out that there seems to be a word/name written before Vincenza's name. It looks like it could be Maria.
The record reads in part, "...della fu Vincenza Passarelli..." -- stargazer might want to look for Vincenza's death record in the Scontrone films.
Thanks, John! I was really stretching it with "Maria."... :-)

And a good suggestion about the death record!

T.
stargazer200529
Rookie
Rookie

Wow, okay, thank you everyone. That was a lot of really helpful information.

Let me just make sure I understand all of this. I found this record in the nottificazioni section. Would the same record also be in the processetti section? What would be the difference between the two categories?

what does "della fu" mean? Did she die the same year, or does it mean she died before this announcement?

My next steps would be, look for additional information in the processetti and nottificazioni sections for other marriage notifications and doccuments.

Search for Vincenza Passarelli's death record.

And, request the records for Alfedena to search for their marriage record.

Thank you everyone for the information. I have only just begun researching my Italian heritage and these records are something to get used to.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Would the same record also be in the processetti section? What would be the difference between the two categories?
The same record (or an abstract of it) would be part of the processetti. Processetti are sets of records required before a couple could marry and could include the couple's birth records, marriage banns, consents of absent parents, death records of parents and grandparents, death records of prior spouses, etc. They are a gold mine of information and often provide four generations of a family.
what does "della fu" mean? Did she die the same year, or does it mean she died before this announcement?
della fu Vincenza = of the late (aka deceased) Vincenza

Vincenza died before the date of the record.
John Armellino
stargazer200529
Rookie
Rookie

Okay, I think this is my last question for now, would the processetti be in Scontrone or Alfedena?
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Okay, I think this is my last question for now, would the processetti be in Scontrone or Alfedena?
Processetti were recorded in the comune where the marriage took place. In this case, we're not sure where the marriage took place, although I think that Alfedena is the likely location.

PS: Atti di notificazione are recorded in both the comune of the bride and the comune of the groom when they come from different towns.
John Armellino
Crissco

Post by Crissco »

Small world lol My last name is Ranieri too