Got my passport and now for my husband and mother?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
cdevita
Veteran
Veteran

Got my passport and now for my husband and mother?

Post by cdevita »

Hi Everyone! Maybe I am bored that now everything is finished getting my citizenship and passport, I would like to obtain citizenship for my husband of 23 years and for my mother. My mother actually qualifies now based upon my documentation through my father who I guess received his citizenship post mortem? (His was the line I went through). When I received mine did that mean that my father and grandfather were granted theirs as well automatically? Anyway, the Consulate in LA mentioned briefly that my mother would be able to go through my father but at that time it was not a priority. I sent an email to the Consulate in LA and they have not responded.

Johnnyonthespot?? Guida, per favore?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Got my passport and now for my husband and mother?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Presumably your parents married prior to April 27, 1983 and were still married after that date. If so, then I believe your mother's citizenship is assured, although I do not know what the LA consulate's procedures are in this case. Probably best to simply ask.

Your husband's case is more difficult. He will need to file a jus matrimonio application which involves criminal background checks from the FBI, state, and local governments for each place where he resided as an adult and a €200 fee which must be paid before the applicatin can be submitted.

See http://www.conslosangeles.esteri.it/Con ... rriage.htm for details.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
cdevita
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cdevita »

THANK YOU!! I knew about the background check-hoping it was rumor. that is going to be more work than my docs were!
uwlaw
Rookie
Rookie

Post by uwlaw »

Well, cdevita, as least you won't be bored anymore! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I can imagine a movie script coming out of this...

cdevita begins the process for her husband only to learn that he has a long criminal "rap sheet" and is currently wanted for questioning in the case of several multi-million dollar jewel and art heists which took place in Newport, RI over the past few years.

What to do, what to do...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
mazzini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mazzini »

hey cdevita,

How long did it take for you to get your citizenship letter and passport in LA. I think you were slightly ahead of me. I had my meeting on April 22 and was told everything was good and I'd be accepted. And it would take about 8 months for me to get the call back for my passport.

It's been eight months this week.

How long did it take you?
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

Did I understand this correctly -- that WE have to order the background checks for our spouses to apply and the consulate does not do this themselves as part of their fee? I guess you have to hire a detective or something?

It amuses me to think that nothing except the bloodline allows us to return to Italy, but the stranieri that we've married are put through such a different test!

Karen
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

KarenChristino wrote:Did I understand this correctly -- that WE have to order the background checks for our spouses to apply and the consulate does not do this themselves as part of their fee? I guess you have to hire a detective or something?

It amuses me to think that nothing except the bloodline allows us to return to Italy, but the stranieri that we've married are put through such a different test!

Karen
Yes, you understood correctly. The link in my previous post explains the requirements.

The €200 fee is relatively new (sometime in late 2009 if I recall correctly). The reason for the difference is that your spouse is applying for naturalization as an Italian citizen as opposed to simple recognition which applies to most of us.

Also, for the record: women who married Italian men prior to April 27, 1983, were automatically granted Italian citizenship. This applies even if the man did not at the time realize that he was Italian. When my citizenship was recognized in 2008, my wife was also granted citizenship based on the fact that we married in 1982. No additional effort was required on her part other than to submit her certified/translated/apostilled birth certificate.

Unfortunately, this rule does not apply to men who married Italian women. They have to do it the hard way, no matter when they married.
Carmine

KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

Wow. Very interesting. The laws certainly have many intriguing twists and turns!