Monzione

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tela1226

Monzione

Post by tela1226 »

I received such great information regarding the other side of my family (thanks again Laura) I thought I'd try to fill in the blanks on the other side as well. Here's what I know so far:

My great grandfather's name was Michele (Michael) Monzione and he was born 12/10/1877 or 1878. He was married to Michelina Discepolo when he came to the US in 1910. He arrived April 1910 on the SS Duca d'Aosta, leaving wife Michelina in Volturara and joing brother Marino in Plainfield, NJ. I cannot find any record of Michelina (nee Discepolo) coming to the US, although I know she did. Michelina died in approx 1917 in New Jersey.

Michele later married Filomena Zirpolo. She was born in Volturara 2/11/1894 and her parents were named Pasquale and Anna Maria (nee Discepolo) Zirpolo. She had a brother named Antonio and two sisters named Rosena and Letizia. Filomena arrived on the SS Patria 12/23/1919 with her son Giovanni Vitale (Filomena's first husband died in a German prison during WWI).

I have located this family in the 1930 census, living in North Plainfield, NJ. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.
Emily

Researching surnames: Ianniello, Fusco, Monzione, Discepolo, Zirpolo
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Monzione

Post by misbris »

So we don't duplicate info, here is what has been done so far.

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... 18554.html
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

First Name: Michelina
Last Name: Piscepolo
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Volturara, Italy
Date of Arrival: May 05, 1911
Age at Arrival: 21y Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Madonna
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0020

going to husband, Michele Monzione 231 W 25th Street -Plainfield
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

You might also want to check out the following passenger list. He may somehow be connected to your ancestry., or it may just be a coincidence that your two surnames are on his manifest.

First Name: Alessandro
Last Name: Di...cepolo
Ethnicity: Italian, South
Last Place of Residence: Volturara Irpino, Avellino
Date of Arrival: Mar 04, 1909
Age at Arrival: 46y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Konig Albert
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0028

His wife's name was Maria Teresa and they were going to a nephew named Marino Munzione in Plainfield.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

My great grandfather's name was Michele (Michael) Monzione and he was born 12/10/1877 or 1878. He was married to Michelina Discepolo when he came to the US in 1910. He arrived April 1910 on the SS Duca d'Aosta, leaving wife Michelina in Volturara and joing brother Marino in Plainfield, NJ.
:D Emily, look at this record:

New Jersey Marriages, 1678-1985

Groom's Name Michele Manzione
Groom's Birth Date
Groom's Birthplace
Groom's Age
Bride's Name Michelina Discepolo
Bride's Birth Date
Bride's Birthplace
Bride's Age
Marriage Date 07 Oct 1906
Marriage Place Saint Mary-Catholic, Plainfield, Union, New Jersey
Groom's Father's Name Giovanni
Groom's Mother's Name Caterina Coveno

Bride's Father's Name Alessandro
Bride's Mother's Name Teresa Delpercio

Groom's Race
Groom's Marital Status
Groom's Previous Wife's Name
Bride's Race
Bride's Marital Status
Bride's Previous Husband's Name
Indexing Project (Batch) Number M59562-1
System Origin New Jersey-VR
Source Film Number 1468650
Reference Number 2:1MFZD3C

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

I cannot find any record of Michelina (nee Discepolo) coming to the US, although I know she did. Michelina died in approx 1917 in New Jersey

She was still alive on the date September 12, 1918 because Michele Monzione stated his wife Michelina was his nearest relative at the time of the military enlistment for the WW1:

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Michele Monzione
Name: Michele Monzione
County: Somerset
State: New Jersey
Birth Date: 10 Dec 1877
Race: White
FHL Roll Number: 1754439
DraftBoard: 1
Nearest relative: Michelina Monzione :!:
address: 129 Duer street - North Plainfield - Somerset County NJ

image, from Ancestry.com:
http://postimage.org/image/e0m57h50/

so, considering that Filomena Zirpolo at the time of her arrival (December 23, 1919) stated she was joining her intended husband Michele Monzione then Michelina must have died between September 12, 1918 and December 5, 1919 more or less (date of the departure of Filomena from Italy)

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Bride's Father's Name Alessandro
Bride's Mother's Name Teresa Delpercio
These were Michelina Discepolo's parents....

I believe this could have been her first arrival in the U.S.

December 29, 1900

Maria del Perciò, age 41, married, from Volturara, joining her husband, travelling with her daughter Michela age 11. (approx. birth year 1889, matching with the age on the second arrival manifest that Maestra36 found for you)
Travelling also with Discepolo Michele age 11 and Discepolo Marino (both male) joining their father (no name) in Jersey City....

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0006

So, Michelina's mother correct maiden name was Del Perciò :D

Laura

edit to add record for first arrival for Michelina's father Alessandro

April 15, 1893

Discepolo Alessandro, age 29

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0406
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Looks like the all family came back to Italy (possibly after Michelina's marriage to Michele) and then went back to the U.S.:

March 4, 1909:

Alessandro Discepolo, age 49, travelling with his wife Maria Teresa, from Volturara (leaving in Volturara their daughter Michelina :!: ) , joining their nephew Munzione Marino in Plainfield NJ

page 1:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0028

page 2:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0028

October 21, 1913:

Maria Teresa Del Perciò, age 53, from Volturara (leaving in Italy her sister Grazia) joining her husband Alex in Plainfield. she stated she was in the U.S. before, form 1900? to 1913, in Plainfield

page 1:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0007

page 2:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0007

Laura
turalese

Post by turalese »

Hi, I think we might be related. I am the grandaughter of Rosina Zirpolo from Volturara Irpina, Filomena's sister that married Michele Monzione. She used to talk about her sister that went to America when I was a little girl. Did you know that Filomena, apart from her two sisters Rosina and Letizia, she also had two Brothers Antonio and Emilio. I'm sure I've got the right Filomena Zirpolo as a lot of the information matches up with what I know.
tela1226

Post by tela1226 »

Hi! Thanks so much for contacting me. We are definitely related. Filomena was my great grandmother, which would make your Mom my great aunt. I guess we are second or third cousins. I have many questions for you as I do not have a lot of information on Filomena. For example, do you have birth dates for her and her siblings? Do you know her parents' names? I understand that Filomena was married in Italy, but that husband died in a war prison camp. Do you know anything about this? Do you still live in Italy? I look forward to hearing from you.

Emily
Emily

turalese

Post by turalese »

Hi Emily! I'm so excited about hearing from you. I live in the UK though we have many relatives in Italy. I have just returned from there and as I'm trying to do a family tree I asked one of my aunty (your Great Aunt) about Filomena your Great Grandmother and she still had a letter that she wrote to her on the occassion of her wedding in 1951? The address on the envelope was 129 Duer Street, N. Plainfield, NJ, USA. Filomena birth date that I have is 02.11.1894 and she died 10.11.1951. Her parent's were Pasquale Zirpolo and Maria Discepole. Siblings, Rosa (but everybody called her Rosina), Antonio,Emilio,Letizia, not sure in what age order. (I'm trying to find out). I have just discovered that Filomena's first husband that died in WW1 was in fact the brother of Rosa's husband Giuseppe Calabrese. He had two brothers Arcangelo and Ciriaco and both died in WW1. Filomena married Arcangelo Calabrese. As far as I knew she didn't have any children. How may children did she have? I would love more info. I would send my email but not sure how to so you could contact me. I'm Luisa
tela1226

Post by tela1226 »

Luisa,

I sent you a private message with my e-mail address in it.

Emily
Emily

turalese

Post by turalese »

Hi Emily. I will get in touch with you on your email and we can get to know each other and our families.

Luisa
rstanley429

Post by rstanley429 »

Hi. I believe that we are related. My great grandfather also is Michele Monzione who lived in North Plainfield. He had 4 children with Michelina: John, Catherine, Alexander & Anthony. After she passed he married Filomena. They had 3 children: Michael, Teresa & Anna. I am descended from the Anthony Monzione line and would love to get in contact and exchange any information.

Rebecca
turalese

Post by turalese »

Hi Rebecca
This is so exciting. Another relative that I did not know anything about. As you can see from the above posts how I'm related to Filomena Zirpolo. I'm in contact with Emily by email. I would send my email to you but not sure how to, so you could contact me. I would love to hear about your side of the family, so please send me your email in my private messages and I will contact you.

Luisa