Giliotti
- LynneBovill
- Newbie

- Posts: 5
- Joined: 03 Dec 2010, 21:37
Giliotti
I just recently became aware that I have Italian roots!
This is in regards to my grandmother (father's mother) that I met only once when I was a small child. I also met my father only once when I was a child.
My grandmother's maiden name is Viola F. Giliotti. She was born in 1924 but I don't know where. She met and married a man named Robert F. Farrow and had a son named Donald R. Farrow. (my father) They lived in Maryland.
She either divorced Robert Farrow or he passed away. She then married John Garvin and they ended up moving to Arizona about 30-35 years ago.Tucson, Arizona. My grandmother had my father when she was just 17. She was 77 in 2001 when my father died of cirrhosis. He was unfortunatley a heavy drinker for most of his life and passed at age 60. My grandmother signed his death certificate. She was alive when he passed away 2001 so if she were still alive now, she would be 86.
I would like to try and find some back ground on the name or on her if anyone here knowws anything about her. I really appreciate any input that anyone may have on this.
This is in regards to my grandmother (father's mother) that I met only once when I was a small child. I also met my father only once when I was a child.
My grandmother's maiden name is Viola F. Giliotti. She was born in 1924 but I don't know where. She met and married a man named Robert F. Farrow and had a son named Donald R. Farrow. (my father) They lived in Maryland.
She either divorced Robert Farrow or he passed away. She then married John Garvin and they ended up moving to Arizona about 30-35 years ago.Tucson, Arizona. My grandmother had my father when she was just 17. She was 77 in 2001 when my father died of cirrhosis. He was unfortunatley a heavy drinker for most of his life and passed at age 60. My grandmother signed his death certificate. She was alive when he passed away 2001 so if she were still alive now, she would be 86.
I would like to try and find some back ground on the name or on her if anyone here knowws anything about her. I really appreciate any input that anyone may have on this.
Re: Giliotti
I believe this is your father in the social security index. Even though his social security was issued by the state of Maryland, he appears to have died in Arizona.
FARROW, DONALD R born 08 May 1942 died 28 Sep 2002 (V) age 60 last residence 85741 (Tucson, Pima, AZ) SS issued by Maryland SS # 213-40-9925
FARROW, DONALD R born 08 May 1942 died 28 Sep 2002 (V) age 60 last residence 85741 (Tucson, Pima, AZ) SS issued by Maryland SS # 213-40-9925
- LynneBovill
- Newbie

- Posts: 5
- Joined: 03 Dec 2010, 21:37
Re: Giliotti
Thank you yes I have the information on my father already. I'm actually looking for information on my grandmother Viola F. Giliotti. What is the background of the name Giliotti and where in Italy is this family from? I cannot find any information on her other than what's on my father's death certificate.
Thank you,
Lynne Bovill
Thank you,
Lynne Bovill
Re: Giliotti
I understand you already have info on your father, but the researchers on the forum need to familiarize themselves with whatever info is out there in order to help you locate more info.
http://www.veromi.net/Summary.asp
GARVIN, VIOLA FRANCES (Age 87)
Associated names:
GARVIN, V
SILVER SPRING, MD
TUCSON, AZ
Possible Relatives:
GARVIN, JOHN F (Age 89)
GARVIN, BRUCE T (Age 54)
GARVIN, DALE L (Age 53)
GARVIN, FRANK L (Age 60)
GARVIN, NANCY J (Age 58)
GARVIN, TRACY H (Age 34)
GARVIN, STACY A (Age 35)
GARVIN, FRANCI J (Age 36)
GARVIN, CYNTHIA C (Age 52)
http://www.veromi.net/Summary.asp
GARVIN, VIOLA FRANCES (Age 87)
Associated names:
GARVIN, V
SILVER SPRING, MD
TUCSON, AZ
Possible Relatives:
GARVIN, JOHN F (Age 89)
GARVIN, BRUCE T (Age 54)
GARVIN, DALE L (Age 53)
GARVIN, FRANK L (Age 60)
GARVIN, NANCY J (Age 58)
GARVIN, TRACY H (Age 34)
GARVIN, STACY A (Age 35)
GARVIN, FRANCI J (Age 36)
GARVIN, CYNTHIA C (Age 52)
Re: Giliotti
The above may be other children and grandchildren of hers, so their names may give you a lead, if you can locate them and contact them.
Re: Giliotti
http://gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/genera.html
On this website, you can type in the surname Gillotti and see its distribution throughout Italy. You say you don't know where she was born. If she was born in Italy, we would need to locate her on a passenger list to see if her town of birth is on it. Or if her parents came from Italy, we would need to try to locate them on a passenger list, but without their first names and approximate ages, that is difficult to do. Locating her marriage records might at least give you her parents' names and a starting point.
On this website, you can type in the surname Gillotti and see its distribution throughout Italy. You say you don't know where she was born. If she was born in Italy, we would need to locate her on a passenger list to see if her town of birth is on it. Or if her parents came from Italy, we would need to try to locate them on a passenger list, but without their first names and approximate ages, that is difficult to do. Locating her marriage records might at least give you her parents' names and a starting point.
Re: Giliotti
The other thing would be to try to locate her and her family on the 1930 census, since each individual is listed and you can search under her name and age, but I am not having luck with that. I am trying all locations and not just Maryland, since we don't know where she resided as a child. The census, depending on its accuracy, should give us a place of birth for her and her parents and possible immigration years, if they were born in Italy.
Re: Giliotti
For solid research, start with the facts as you know them, going back one generation at a time, often when we skip generations we miss out on vital clues that could aid you in your search.
We know where your father died, where he obtained his social security card, was he also born in Maryland?
Do you have a copy of his birth record?
Lee
We know where your father died, where he obtained his social security card, was he also born in Maryland?
Do you have a copy of his birth record?
Lee
___________________________
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Re: Giliotti
Here the birth date of your Viola ???
Name: Viola F Garvin
Birth: 13 Jun 1923
Residence: 1989 - Tucson, AZ
married at :
Name: John F Garvin
Birth Date: 7 Aug 1921
same address..
suanj
Name: Viola F Garvin
Birth: 13 Jun 1923
Residence: 1989 - Tucson, AZ
married at :
Name: John F Garvin
Birth Date: 7 Aug 1921
same address..
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: Giliotti
I don't know if this information is still active, but here is an address and phone number:
VIOLA F GARVIN born Jun 1923
3574 APRICOT DR
TUCSON AZ 85741
The following may be her former address:
VIOLA F GARVIN born 1923
3710 RALPH RD
SILVER SPRING MD 20906
VIOLA F GARVIN born Jun 1923
3574 APRICOT DR
TUCSON AZ 85741
The following may be her former address:
VIOLA F GARVIN born 1923
3710 RALPH RD
SILVER SPRING MD 20906
Re: Giliotti
When I do a reverse look-up of that Arizona phone number, I get a totally different person's name and address. My guess is that, at her age, if still alive, she is either in a nursing home or living with relatives.
Re: Giliotti
Telephone number removed and sent to poster via Private Message.
Lee
Lee
___________________________
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
- LynneBovill
- Newbie

- Posts: 5
- Joined: 03 Dec 2010, 21:37
Re: Giliotti
Wow! Thank you all so much for your help. I will try to locate my grandmother's other children. I sent her a letter and never came back to me so I have assumed the same thing that she may be in a nursing home or living with one of her other children.
Again, thank you all so much.
Lynne Bovill
Again, thank you all so much.
Lynne Bovill
Re: Giliotti
Good call!wldspirit wrote:Telephone number removed and sent to poster via Private Message.
Lee
Re: Giliotti
We are Gilliotti's, and there are lots of records available. We are from a small northern Italian town in Emilia Romagna called Belforte which is just outside of Borgotaro. I've done extensive research, and I don't recognize your grandmother's first name. If you could find her parents' names or any of her siblings I'd be happy to see if I can find a connection.
You might also want to look at ancestry.com. There are lots of Gilliotti records, and you can usually find a 14 day free trial.
We spell it with 2 l's, but most of the family only uses one l, and occasionally you see it as Gigliotti.
You might also want to look at ancestry.com. There are lots of Gilliotti records, and you can usually find a 14 day free trial.
We spell it with 2 l's, but most of the family only uses one l, and occasionally you see it as Gigliotti.




