Passenger ships' manifests

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
brianna
Rookie
Rookie

Passenger ships' manifests

Post by brianna »

I;'m trying to find a copy of a ship manifest for the "Republic", which supposedly arrived in NY "on or about" Feb 21st, 1905.

I am looking for the info on the manifest for my grandfather "Gaetano Ricciardelli".

Would appreciate help from anyone knowing where I can get a copy of this manifest.

Thank you,

Brianna
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Passenger ships' manifests

Post by maestra36 »

If you go to www.stevemorse.org and use the form which says "Missing Manifests," which is the third option down, put in the date Feb 19, 1905, roll 537, frame 494, and hit display. This is the beginning of the manifest for that ship and you then have to go frame by frame to find where your grandfather appears on the manifest.

This is one way to locate his manifest if you can't do it by searching his name on ellisislandrecords.org
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

also on the following link, if you put in February 1905 and the name of the ship, you get a link which should connect to the ship through ancestry.com, but I don't have a subscription to that. I am not sure if this would take you to the exact page of the manifest you need. It may take you to the beginning of the manifest as well.

http://stevemorse.org/ellis/boatx.html?mode=ny

I looked through the entire manifest page by page and didn't see him. Hopefully I just missed him and you will find him.

what other info can you tell us about your grandfather? his age at arrival? was he traveling with other family members such as a mother, as he could be listed under her maiden name? do you know what town he was from?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

brianna wrote:I;'m trying to find a copy of a ship manifest for the "Republic", which supposedly arrived in NY "on or about" Feb 21st, 1905.

I am looking for the info on the manifest for my grandfather "Gaetano Ricciardelli".

Would appreciate help from anyone knowing where I can get a copy of this manifest.

Thank you,

Brianna
In 1905 arrived only this Gaetano Ricciardelli:
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Gaetano Ricciardelli
Name: Gaetano Ricciardelli
Arrival Date: 11 May 1905
Birth Year: abt 1862
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (North) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Genoa, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Konig Albert
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Maybe that is him, suanj. He isn't on the manifest for Feb 21, 1905, as far as I can tell. Thanks for your help.
Hugs
Peg
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Yes Peg, in effects the poster wrote:
which supposedly arrived in NY "on or about" Feb 21st, 1905.
so .. supposedly...
hugs,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
brianna
Rookie
Rookie

Post by brianna »

Thanks for the info provided. I will search through the manifest mentioned and see if I can find him.
You asked for some info about Gaetano Ricciardelli. The info that suanj provided is not my grandfather. He was 16 years old when he came to America with his older sister, Carmela in 1905.
I have copies of his WWI and WWII registration and found that he came from the town of Accadia, Avellino, Italy. I also have copies of the 1920 and 1930 census report and, found the listiing for the family when they lived in The Bronx.
Later on I found that Accadia was ceded to the Province of Foggia. I got an address to get a copy of his birth certificate(he was born Mar 14, 1890). thinking that the records followed to Foggia after Accadia was ceded. I received an answer wherein they claim that they don't have a record of his birth. I'm trying to get the address of the Ufficio dello Stato Civile of Avellino to see if they have a record of his birth in Accadia, when it was located in the Province of Avellino.
I had one address but, it was only for information having to do with tourism.
So, I'm going to write to Ufficio dello Stato Civile in Avellino and, not show Accadia in the address to see if the Province can help me get a copy of his birth certificate.
I thank you guys for this latest info provided me about my grandfather and, I will let you know how I make out with Avellino.

Brianna
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Brianna
some addresses for you-

to write directly to the town of Accadia:

Municipio Ufficio Angrafe e Stato Civile
Viale Roma
71021 Accadia (FG)
Italy

for the state archive of Avellino

Archivio di Stato
Provincia di Avellino
Via Soldi 9
83100 Avellino
Italy

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

http://circolocalabrese.org/resources/letters/index.asp

for sample letters

I should warn you that it may be more difficult to get things from the Province level without giving a specific town name. When I did province microfilm for a town in the province of Matera, for example, the records were organized under each town in the province.
brianna
Rookie
Rookie

Post by brianna »

Peg,
Thanks for the addresses you've provided. I have a different address for Foggia, Italy to which I forwarded my request and, was told that there was no record of Gaetano's birthday.
The adress I had was:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Commune di Accadia
71021 Accadia FG Italy.

Anyway, I'm going to send a letter to both places and see what they come up with.

I am having a problem with stevemorse.org in that I cannot find a link to "Missing Manifests" .The links on the left hand side start with "Ellis Island" "Castle Gardens" and "Other Ports". Went into all listed and cannot find "Missing Manifests".
Brianna
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Look at this manifest when you get a chance. On the original manifest, it looks like the last letter of Gaetana may be crossed out, so I am wondering if the sex on the manifest is incorrect. It's 1907 though and there is no sister Carmela. Age is close but year of birth is 1892 and not 1890.

First Name: Gaetana
Last Name: Ricciardelli
Ethnicity: Italy - Italian So.
Last Place of Residence: S. Paolina
Date of Arrival: Apr 01, 1907
Age at Arrival: 15y Gender: F Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Celtic
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0023
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

destination was to a brother in White Plains NY, but I can't make out the brother's first name

about the missing manifests-

when you go to www.stevemorse.org,, it says Ellis Island Gold Forms, under that, it says Ellis Island white forms, under that, it says Ellis Island Manifests (aka Missing Manifests 1892-1924). That is the option you need to click on
brianna
Rookie
Rookie

Post by brianna »

Peg,
Thanks, but Gaetano didn't have a brother in White Plains or, anywhere else in USA.

As you probably know Gaetana is the feminine of Gaetano so, the gender is probably correct.

I'm going to work on the "Missing Manifests" and let you know how I make out.

Thanks for everything. You've been a great help.
Brianna
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Brianna
I know that the name Gaetana is feminine. There have been mistakes, however, on the manifests. My one great grandmother, for example, was listed as Antonio and male on her manifest (her name was Antonia) but the manifest clearly stated that her destination was to her husband (my great grandfather), and she was also traveling with their one daughter, so it was easy to see that there was a mistake in her name and sex on the manifest. You just never know, so it's always best to check these things out. It's good though that you can eliminate this manifest since you know your grandfather didn't have a brother.

I went through the other passenger list twice (1905 Republic) and didn't see him listed on it. I didn't even see a passenger with the first name Gaetano on it.
Peg
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Hi Peg,

I also did a page by page look see and came up empty.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Thanks, Biff. Sometimes I do miss things on a first go around, so I went through that manifest twice and didn't see him. My other thought is that possibly the online missing manifest is missing some of its pages??? Maybe someone goofed in scanning and uploading the pages to the website. I also don't know where Brianna got the name and date of the ship. I know, for example, that my one great grandfather's 1896 naturalization papers stated that he arrived "on or about July 19, 1892" (no ship name given) when, in fact, he didn't arrive until Aug 21, 1893. At least I've never found him on an 1892 manifest. The 1893 manifest also doesn't ask if he had ever before been in this country, so maybe he did come earlier.
Anyway, thanks for being my second set of eyes.
Peg