Naturalization and Petition for Naturalization Documents NYC

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
diamantegrezzo

Naturalization and Petition for Naturalization Documents NYC

Post by diamantegrezzo »

Could someone point me in the right direction, as where to find my ancestors naturalization documents if they were naturalized in the Federal Court in Kings County (Brooklyn). My appointment is quickly approaching, and this is the last document I need. Thanks. :?:
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Naturalization and Petition for Naturalization Documents

Post by johnnyonthespot »

National Archives. Fastest, easiest, least expensive.

To place a document order, start here https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... chives.gov and go ahead and create an account on the right. Next, click "Order Reproductions" and then "Immigration & Naturalization Records"

Be sure to request the "Certified Paper Copy" which will cost you a total of $22.50. Response time is often less than two weeks.

When completing the order form, you may encounter fields which demand you enter something even though you don't have the information available; just put X's or 9's in those fields and continue.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
diamantegrezzo

Post by diamantegrezzo »

I am not sure of the year in which my ancestor was naturalized but I do have a general range of dates. How else should I proceed?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

The National Archives will still be your best bet; go ahead and enter your order - they will not charge you unless they actually find the record.

If you would care to share the particulars - your ancestor's name, year of birth, etc - we may be able to find additional information for you.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
diamantegrezzo

Post by diamantegrezzo »

Currently I have a family member/researcher aiding me. But if I find that nothing is coming up I will share whatever information I have. I have enough to point me in the right directs as for their info. I think they will be able to locate the record. I am going to order it tonight. If I don't hear anything by March, I believe I will need additional help. Hopefully it won't take that long. Thank you for everything!
hollyolly7
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hollyolly7 »

diamante--

I don't know where you live but I went there in person and got it. I found the listing on this website:
http://www.jgsny.org/kingsintro2.htm

I had originally written them but one of the guys that works in there, Mike, had written me back saying that the archive number I gave him didn't exist and wrote down the one that he searched for..he wound up not looking under the correct archive number I had provided him with. To make the story short, I went there in person, gave him the number of the archive again, and he got it in 5 min, and even showed me the original document! It was quite cool...

I suggest you go in person if you can. It also takes a lot less time as they do it on the spot for you. Good luck! ;)
hollyolly7
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hollyolly7 »

Also, NARA, aka the National Archives, doesn't have all naturalization documents. In fact, they didn't have anything for my GGF.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

The original poster notes that her ancestor naturalized in a federal court. The National Archives should have all federal court naturalization records; they do not have New York state or county court records.
Carmine

diamantegrezzo

Post by diamantegrezzo »

I want to thank all of you for your help! I was actually able to locate my grandmother's documents through NARA's website this past Wednesday, and they were at my house on Saturday! So, it looks like I have everything I need!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

diamantegrezzo wrote:I want to thank all of you for your help! I was actually able to locate my grandmother's documents through NARA's website this past Wednesday, and they were at my house on Saturday! So, it looks like I have everything I need!
Great news! Glad to hear that NARA came through for you.
Carmine