I have traced my family back to my 2nd great grandparents but I am stuck trying to find more information about them.
My gggrandparents are Tommaso Russo and Carmela Izzo of Paolisi, Benevento. My guess is that they were born sometime around 1850-1860. I have their son's passport, which I have posted on here before. He is Nicola Russo my great grandfather. I am trying to locate more info about Tommaso's family and Carmela Izzo's family.
I have been in contact with someone who had her Russo line professionally researched in Paolisi. Paolisi is a very small town, so I am assuming that there has to be a connection, but I cannot find one. I also believe I have located my grandfather's cousin or brother, Raffaele Russo, who immigrated to the US with Nicola.
Below is all the information I have accumulated, perhaps someone can help me find a connection or tell me where to go from here, as I have tried for the past year on research sites to find someone but have had no luck. I am very grateful for all the help that has been provided to me in the past and I am hopefully I can get something useful out of this post.
--------------------------------------------
Nicola Russo b. 21 Feb 1885 in Paolisi. Baptized at "eccl parsch St Thomas Aquinatis"- cannot find anything about this church online. Father- Tommaso Russo. Mother- Carmela Izzo. He immigrated to US in June 1907 from Naples, under name Nicola Rusfo. He is going to cousin Francisco Bellona of Brooklyn, NY.
With him is Raffaele Rusfo b.1888 in Paolisi. He is going to a brother Antonio Rusfo of Burlington. However, he was deported. He then tried again in 1912, this time to father "Pasquall". Since this is a different father, I am guessing Raffaele is the cousin of Nicola.
--------------------------------------------
The professional researcher found Rosario Russo b. 3 Jan 1843 in Paolisi. Father-Fortunato Russo. Mother- Raffaela Mazzone. She married Vincenzo Mancinelli on August 5,1865 in Paolisi. They had a daughter Maria Mancinelli b. April 1872 in Paolisi.
now what?
Re: now what?
Did you try contacting the Diocese of Benevento and asked where the records of
St Thomas are stored at. Heres the contact info
Website http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/diocese/dbene.html
Mailing address
Archdiocese of Benevento (ID: 167649)
Physical Address:
Palazzo Arcivescovile Benevento, IT 82100
Marty A
St Thomas are stored at. Heres the contact info
Website http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/diocese/dbene.html
Mailing address
Archdiocese of Benevento (ID: 167649)
Physical Address:
Palazzo Arcivescovile Benevento, IT 82100
Marty A
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: now what?
This looks like Latin for Saint Thomas Aquinas (in Italian: San Tommaso Aquino).mb87384n wrote:--------------------------------------------
Nicola Russo b. 21 Feb 1885 in Paolisi. Baptized at "eccl parsch St Thomas Aquinatis"- cannot find anything about this church online.
One possibility:
Parrocchia SS. Apostoli Andrea e Tommaso
Piazza Vittorio Veneto, 2
82011 Paolisi (BN)
tel: 0824 323302
This may be a parish which was combined from earlier separate parishes of San Andrea and San Tommaso (Aquino).
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: now what?
Also, you can order microfilms from your local Family History Center for Paolisi:
You probably know this already, but "Nati" are birth records, "Morti" are death records, "Matrimonio" marriage (obviously), "Processetti" are various other documents relating to marriages and which can contain a treasure trove of additional information.Nati 1809-1810 FHL INTL Film 1604053 Item 7
Nati 1818-1860 Processetti 1817-1834 FHL INTL Film 1604054
Processetti 1834-1855 FHL INTL Film 1604055
Processetti 1855-1860 Matrimoni 1809-1860 Morti 1809-1844 FHL INTL Film 1604056
Morti 1844-1860 Atti diversi 1812-1859 FHL INTL Film 1604222 Items 1-3
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... di+Paolisi+++
Info about Famioly History Centers: http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... t_fhlc.asp (and many threads on this board)
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
