Citizenship through my Maternal Grandmother?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
diamantegrezzo

Citizenship through my Maternal Grandmother?

Post by diamantegrezzo »

Should I be concerned? I don't know which category I fall under. My grandmother was an italian citizen and wasn't natrualized until 1970...my mother was born in 1952. Should I just go back further to a make ancestor? I am a wreck. Please help. Grazie Mille. <3
Rodio
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Citizenship through my Maternal Grandmother?

Post by Rodio »

Where were you and your mother born? If the US, you should be alright, assuming you and your mother did not naturalize anywhere else....
diamantegrezzo

Post by diamantegrezzo »

Both my mother, and myself were born in the US. Either of us has naturalized elsewhere. I an just not sure which category I would fall under, assuming I can get it through my grandmother.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The consulate websites can be confusing, for sure.

Yes, you qualify through your grandmother because she was an Italian citizen at the time your mother was born and because your mother was born on or after January 1, 1948.

You will require:

a) your own birth certificate and marriage certificate, if applicable
b) your mother's birth certificate and marriage certificate
c) your grandmother's Italian birth certificate and Italian (or US) marriage certificate
d) proof of your grandmother's naturalization

There are some other details, but those are the basics.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
diamantegrezzo

Post by diamantegrezzo »

Thanks Carmine! I look at the website sometimes, and I want to rip my eyes out because I am so confused. I have mostly everything I need. I have my grandmother's birth certificate, and so on. I just need my mother's things. I don't want to go there and waste anyone's time. I still have a good 5 months before my appointment, so If I needed to go back through a male, I'd rathe know now.
Rodio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Rodio »

diamantegrezzo wrote:Both my mother, and myself were born in the US. Either of us has naturalized elsewhere. I an just not sure which category I would fall under, assuming I can get it through my grandmother.
I assume you meant "neither", right? As long as you and your mother did not naturalize anywhere else, it sounds as if you will qualify.

Buona fortuna.

Edit--In addition to what Carmine noted for documents needed for your application, you would need death certificates (if applicable) for your GM and/or M.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Rodio wrote:Edit--In addition to what Carmine noted for documents needed for your application, you would need death certificates (if applicable) for your GM and/or M.
Of course. I must have a mental block concerning death because I often forget to mention that. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
diamantegrezzo

Post by diamantegrezzo »

I did mean neither...I am just a ball of confusion with this! Thanks again! I think I owe everyone that has answered my questions a lobster dinner! I am getting ready to request those documents, as we speak. I think once I stop being nervous I will be fine!
Rodio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Rodio »

Mmmmmm lobster...I would be resposible for many lobster dinners for all of the help I received on this site!!! You are right, it is a frustrating and cofusing process. But in your case, you are only going back 2 generations; hopefully you can locate all of your documentation with little or no discrepancies on them. As for being nervous, a good vino can help!
diamantegrezzo

Post by diamantegrezzo »

I feel better now! It's just everything I look at talks about a male ancestor. And them I am like ugh, so I need to do more, because my great grandparents never naturalized so...uffa. My back up plan is hoping it's an italian man that thinks im pretty looking at my paperwork...lol