Information on my Grandfather Giuseppe Griffo

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
ItalianbellaSA
Elite
Elite

Information on my Grandfather Giuseppe Griffo

Post by ItalianbellaSA »

I am looking for information on my grandfather, Giuseppe Griffo. I am not sure, but I think he was from Patti, Sicily. He was born in 1895 and died in 1967 in the U.S.

Papers I have show that his last name in Italy was Crifo and was some how changed to Griffo. He became a U.S. citizen on Dec. 2, 1931. I am not sure to look up Crifo or Griffo.

He was married to Maria Incognito. I believe he had a brother Anthony.

If you have any information, I would be most grateful.

Italianbella SA
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Information on my Grandfather Giuseppe Griffo

Post by Tessa78 »

Where did Giuseppe Griffo live in US?
Where did he die in US?

Do you have his naturalization papers?

What papers do you have that contain the name "Crifo" ?

T.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

The surname "Griffo" is found through Sicily, and the surname "Crifo" is found mostly in Patti, Messina (Sicily)

You can write to the comune of Patti and request Giuseppe's birth record using both spellings.

Address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Piazza Scaffiddi
98066 Patti (ME)
ITALY

Help with letters in Italian...
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... talrecords

T.

Hi wldspirit! :-)
Thanks for the reference to a previous thread...
ItalianbellaSA
Elite
Elite

Post by ItalianbellaSA »

My grandfather Joseph (Giuseppe) Griffo (Crifo) settled in Hoboken, NJ. He died in a Fair Lawn, NJ hospital. I have his certificate of citizenship. It is dated December 17, 1931, Jersey City, NJ. What else do you need from that document. As far as papers that contain the name Giuseppe Crifo, I have one that is titled "Comune De Patti. L'ufficiale dello Stato Civilo de Comune di Patti Visto l'atto de Nascita di N 232 del 13 Luglio 1884 de Crifo Giuseppe de....de Angela Aprile. (I don't speak or write Italian) so I don't know exactly what certificate it is. Could Angela Aprile be his mother? I really want to say thank you to all for your help. I am very grateful for the time you are taking for this request. Again, I thank you from the bottom of my hear.
Sincerely,
ItalianbellaSA (My name is Susanna Visaggio Antista)
It is hoped that the research I am doing helps to discover, preserve and celebrate my family history.

Sue Antista
ItalianbellaSA
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

ItalianbellaSA wrote:My grandfather Joseph (Giuseppe) Griffo (Crifo) settled in Hoboken, NJ. He died in a Fair Lawn, NJ hospital. I have his certificate of citizenship. It is dated December 17, 1931, Jersey City, NJ. What else do you need from that document. As far as papers that contain the name Giuseppe Crifo, I have one that is titled "Comune De Patti. L'ufficiale dello Stato Civilo de Comune di Patti Visto l'atto de Nascita di N 232 del 13 Luglio 1884 de Crifo Giuseppe de....de Angela Aprile. (I don't speak or write Italian) so I don't know exactly what certificate it is. Could Angela Aprile be his mother? I really want to say thank you to all for your help. I am very grateful for the time you are taking for this request. Again, I thank you from the bottom of my hear.
Sincerely,
ItalianbellaSA (My name is Susanna Visaggio Antista)
Can you upload the document to an image-sharing site so we can translate it for you? Sounds like Angela Aprile is the mother, but let's be sure...

Great site -
www.imageshack.com

T.