Petello, Pitello, etc from Isca Sullo Ionio

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
decogrl

Petello, Pitello, etc from Isca Sullo Ionio

Post by decogrl »

Am looking for this name in the province of Catanzaro. Was looking for my gr-gr grandmother's birth records in the LDS files. Did not find a single Petello in that village. All records of the family state they were from Isca Sullo Ionio. Wonder why their names do not appear in any records.

Other names I am researching from Isca is Varano.

The Petello I am looking for is:
Concetta Petello who was born about 1861. Her father was Pietro Petello (no record of her mother)-- he never came to the US. Concetta lived with her daughter and my grandmother in the 1930 census--she was 70 years old. Concetta was a Varano and her husband was Andrea Varano. Her children were all born in Isca---Rosario, Giuseppe, Maria, Francesco, and Saverio.

They all moved to Northumberland County PA.
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Petello, Pitello, etc from Isca Sullo Ionio

Post by mfjp »

Hi decogrl
Was looking for my gr-gr grandmother's birth records in the LDS files.
Are you talking about the birth records from their website??

This is not the Concetta you are looking for, much too young... but from the same town... and traveling with a Varano... just wanted you to see name...

There are about 32 manifests with the name P I T T E L L O from Isca Jonio, just Isca, Isca Sulla Ionio, Isca sull'Ioino

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0181%2ETIF

First Name: Concetta (also traveling with a Rosa Varano)
Last Name: Pittello
Ethnicity: Italian, South
Last Place of Residence: Isca Jonio, Italy
Date of Arrival: December 07, 1913
Age at Arrival:  16y    Gender:  F    Marital Status:  S  
Ship of Travel: Stampalia
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0007

mfjp
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

decogrl wrote:Am looking for this name in the province of Catanzaro. Was looking for my gr-gr grandmother's birth records in the LDS files. Did not find a single Petello in that village. All records of the family state they were from Isca Sullo Ionio. Wonder why their names do not appear in any records.

Other names I am researching from Isca is Varano.

Concetta Petello who was born about 1861. Her father was Pietro Petello (no record of her mother)-- he never came to the US. Concetta lived with her daughter and my grandmother in the 1930 census--she was 70 years old. Concetta was a Varano and her husband was Andrea Varano. Her children were all born in Isca---Rosario, Giuseppe, Maria, Francesco, and Saverio.

They all moved to Northumberland County PA.
Hi: are an Saverio Pitello age 22 in 1901, in travel with Francesco Varano and other people all coming from ISCA (Isca sullo Ionio) http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipm ... 5271110250
can be?
regards, suanj
artsmart

Post by artsmart »

To anyone interested. My wife & I visted Italy in 2004. My grandparents were born in Isca Sullo Ionio. Varano & Scicchitano family names. We visited Isca on our trip and took some pictures . Here is a link to those photos. http://www.artsmart-online.com/wedding/ ... nio?page=1
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing them with us!

Nuccia :)
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi There,

My ancestors are also from Isca Sullo Ionio.

I have Mirarchi, Procopio, Pupo, LaCroce, Coroniti, Guarana, Varano, Bressi, Nestico, etc.

If you want, you can send me an email with your family's information.

Also, where did your family settle? A lot of people from Isca settled in Northumberland County, Pennsylvania in the Coal Mine Region. Such towns are Shamokin, Mt. Carmel, Marion Heights, Kulpmont, etc.

Hope to hear from you.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

decogrl wrote:
HI again,

What was the daughter's name of Concetta? I did find a Maria Teresa Varano born to a Andrea on May 14, 1885. I don't have all the indexes, but was just poking around.

Also, here is a manifest for a Rosario Varano who left his mother, Concetta Pitello, in Isca and he was going to see his brother, Saverio.

Page 1

Page 2

This is a possible Saverio for he is going to see his Uncle, Pasquale Pitello.
Saverio Manifest

hope this helps a little
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

for civil records you can also write to:

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza Municipio, 1
88060 Isca Sullo Ionio (CZ)
Italy

or to

Archivio di Stato di Catanzaro

bye Riccardo :lol:
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi Again,

Just to let you know the Family History Center has microfilm for the town of Isca Sullo Ionio. The film now costs, $5.75 a roll to order and rent it.

Here is the link for the microfilms.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

If you are still from the Northumberland Area, then I believe the FHC in that area has microfilm there. I know several people whose ancestors are from Isca are doing research there. You can always use their film.

I too have all the films at my FHC.

I also have a Pietro Pitello who married Vittorio Bressi. They had a Rosata Pitello born 1802.

I hope some of the infomation helps.
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
nicedream
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nicedream »

artsmart wrote:To anyone interested. My wife & I visted Italy in 2004. My grandparents were born in Isca Sullo Ionio. Varano & Scicchitano family names. We visited Isca on our trip and took some pictures . Here is a link to those photos. http://www.artsmart-online.com/wedding/ ... nio?page=1
WONDERFUL pictures, and thank you for sharing! It can be difficult to find photos of such small towns, so this is a real find.

I notice one of your pictures says "View from the cemetary". Do you happen to know if there is more than one cemetary in the town? Just wondering how difficult it would be to find my ancestor's resting places if I ever get over there.

Thanks again.... :D
artsmart

Post by artsmart »

Hello. A few replies to some posts. My grandparents in fact did settle in Shamokin Pennsylvania, where they lived their entire lives and my parents were born. About the Isca cemetary photos. As far as I know, there is just the one major cemetary that is on a hill just outside of town. It's very small and shouldn't be too hard to find a relative. Although there are several graves that we saw with only crosses stuck into mounds of dirt. Some of the crosses had numbers on them but no names. All the rest of the burial sites have names along with photos of the deceased.
artsmart

Post by artsmart »

Just another follow up to the question about the cemetary. I dug through some of our photos and found one that shows clearly what the inside of the cemetary looked like and I've added it online here: http://www.iscasulloionio.net/gallery/v ... =xbe0a35d3

One of the things I found interesting was that the names in the cemetary totaled only about 8 or 10 surnames. It's amazing to think that this community has been inhabited by the same small group of people and it's descendants for so long.
nicedream
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nicedream »

Just wanted to update this thread....

I found another page with pictures from Isca Sullo Ionio (and some of the surrounding towns too)

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/cmversantejonico/

Click on any one of the town names, then click on "Galleria Fotografica" 8)
parretta
Rookie
Rookie

Post by parretta »

Hi All,

Maybe you guts can help me. I am loking for relatives of Giuseppe Procopio. He was from Isca Sullo Ionio. He immigrated to Philadelhia in 1910-1920. He was single when he immigrated. All I know is that one of his grand children was born in 1959 or 1960. I don't know if the child is a male or female, nor if they still live in Philadelphia. What should I do to start the process of finding these lost relatives. By the way, Giuseppe Procopio was my Great Grandfather's brother.

Thanks,

Andy
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

parretta wrote:Hi All,

Maybe you guts can help me. I am loking for relatives of Giuseppe Procopio. He was from Isca Sullo Ionio. He immigrated to Philadelhia in 1910-1920. He was single when he immigrated. All I know is that one of his grand children was born in 1959 or 1960. I don't know if the child is a male or female, nor if they still live in Philadelphia. What should I do to start the process of finding these lost relatives. By the way, Giuseppe Procopio was my Great Grandfather's brother.

Thanks,

Andy
Hi Andy,

Do you have any information on Giuseppe such as a date of birth, year of birth?

Do you know his parents' names?

Do you know anything about him?

I have Procopio's in my family that also settled in Philadelphia.

Here are two possibilities of a Giuseppe Procopio on Philly.

Here is the 1910 census with a Giuseppe as a son.

Name: Giuseppe Procopio
Age in 1910: 7/12
Estimated birth year: abt 1909
Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Relation to Head of House: Son
Father's name: Pasquale
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's name: Maria T
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Home in 1910: Philadelphia Ward 3, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Marital Status: Single

Household Members: Name Age
Pasquale Procopio 47
Maria T Procopio 40
Tunocenza Procopio 16
Angela R Procopio 8
Emilia Procopio 6/12
Giovanna Procopio 5

Here is a 1920 census with a Giuseppe married to a Marion.

Name: Guiseppe Procopio
[Giuseppe Procopio]
Home in 1920: Philadelphia Ward 26, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Estimated birth year: abt 1888
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Marion
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Own
Year of Immigration: 1902
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes

Household Members: Name Age
Guiseppe Procopio 32
Marion Procopio 26
Catherine Procopio 9
Marie Procopio 18
Domenic Procopio 6
Elen Procopio 4 9/12
Teresina Procopio 2

If you have more information to share, it would help us find more clues for you!

Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum