Say it ain't so...

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
misuraca

Say it ain't so...

Post by misuraca »

I just discovered that I'm an Italian citizen --though unrecognized-- this week... I've always been proud of my Sicilian heritage, and I am gathering the documents now. So I saw an allusion or two to a "make or break" date of Dec. 2005... As in after that date one cant be recognized, is there any truth to this? If I don't have the application in by then or what?...

Please tell me this is not the case... I've looked closely at the criteria and I am definitely a citizen under existing law... Tell me they aren't changing the law...

Does any one know for sure, one way or the other?

Also, I fall in the SF Consulate Dist. and what's up with all the rumors there of? :?:
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Re: Say it ain't so...

Post by JamesBianco »

That's great you are eligible. I assume your ancestor never became a US citizen or did so after his or her children were adults (over 21 years old). IN the case of a Female Italian ancestor, she could only pass citizenship to her children after the year 1947 (or Jan 1,1948 forward)
There has been many a false rumor started about a FINAL application date and these are usually posted in a forum or by some questionable individual. There is at this point no pending legislation in Italy or passed legislation closing this process, so do not be fooled.

Jim Bianco
misuraca

Post by misuraca »

Yeah, thanks Jim, my great grandfather emigrated to the US in 1907, married and had my grandmother in 1913 (making her a dual Italia/US national via jus soli and jure sanguinis) and he wasn't naturalized until 1916, my mother wasn't born until 1949...

I'm glad to hear that the deadline is a rumor, it sounded bogus... any info on the SF consulate goings on...
pastasugo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pastasugo »

bv
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

pastasugo wrote: The over 21 rule only applies if the children were born in Italy and immigrated with the parent to America. If they were born in America, they are eligible for Italian citizenship regardless of how old they are when the parent naturalized.
OH really??? I did not know that. Makes complete sense since I have seen conflicting information over this. Thanks :)
misuraca

Post by misuraca »

Yeah, that is my understanding of the law. My grandmother was never "naturalized" per say, she is a natural-born US cit. and has never renounced her Italian cit., so has been a dual the whole time...

8)
misuraca

Post by misuraca »

Ooops, I mean... "naturalized" per se... :oops: