Dilemma?

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
didozo
Rookie
Rookie

Dilemma?

Post by didozo »

So I've hit a path and am looking for opinions or suggestions.
Have all information regarding GGF and first ecclesiastical wife and GF's birth and genealogy. Just got letter from the commune that first ecclesiastical wife (no civil ceremony) moved to adjoining town and remarried civilally and there are children of this marriage who might have descendents who still live in town.

I got the impression this was a scandal (the birth of the GF).
I kind of feel like an adopted child and just found their birth parents. The letter from the commune takes us on another path and we don't want to get run out of the town if we visit.

Suggestions since we are the descendents of the GGF?
Searching: Allenza -Villalba/Valledolmo, Marsala -Villalba, Trapani-Mistretta, and Mirra/Filippelli- Domanico, Benevento
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Dilemma?

Post by misbris »

I may be wrong, but if I am someone here will be sure to correct me..but..

Since Italy is a Catholic country, socially and religiously the child of the church marriage would be legitimate. The civil marriage later to another man would not be sanctioned by the church. So the scandal would be the 2nd marriage not your GF.

However, it was so many years ago, I don't think anyone would care today.
Did your GGF remarry? Do you think your GF had any contact with his step-siblings? Do you know the name of the step-siblings?
didozo
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Dilemma?

Post by didozo »

GGF remarried and GF was living with biological mother. Rumor has it she delivered GF to new wife and GF went to live with father and stepmother. I don't think there was any further communication with biological mother.

I did find a reference in church records tha biological mother did request an unmarried status from the church right around the time she remarried.

Like you said - it was a long time ago...
Searching: Allenza -Villalba/Valledolmo, Marsala -Villalba, Trapani-Mistretta, and Mirra/Filippelli- Domanico, Benevento