New York City Apostille Help

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jalapeno89
Rookie
Rookie

New York City Apostille Help

Post by jalapeno89 »

Hey everyone,
so i have to go to NYC for a conference next week and figured that since i needed to send all of my documents there to be apostilled anyway, i might as well bring them and just walk in. My question is does anyone have clarification on the process? I have several birth, death and marriage certificates, the letters of exemplification but i have to take them to New York County first for something, then the state? can both be done in NYC? thanks --- Mike
mler
Master
Master

Re: New York City Apostille Help

Post by mler »

Yes. Since you have letters of exemplification, I assume your documents are from NYC. This is a dual process.

First, take you documents to the court building on Centre Street for notarization. I believe the address is 60 Centre Street, and the notarization section is located in the basement. When I was there, the cost was $3 a document, and I don't think this has changed. (Keep in mind, however, that only Manhattan documents can be notarized at this location. If you have documents that originate in another borough, you will have to take them there.)

You can then walk the documents to 123 Williams Street to obtain the apostilles. The cost was $10; probably still the same. Be prepared to pay in cash.

NYS issued documents can be apostilled at Williams Street as well.

Edited to correct Centre Street address.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

I was there last week and had my doc's apostilled. Mler is correct about the current prices.

The NY County Clerk, located at 60 Centre st., will notorize all document's issued from the NYC Dept of Health and Mental Hygiene that have a letter of exemplification.. I had document's from Brooklyn with letters of exemplification and paid $3.00 each for the notary stamp. I then brought them to the State department for Apostille. I had 10 documents and they were done while I waited about 15 minutes. $10 each.
Good luck,
Drew
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Thank you for correcting the Centre Street address. It's been a while since I was there. :) (I've changed the address on my first post to avoid confusing anyone.)

The reason I mentioned the other boroughs was because a women ahead of me in line at Williams Street was told she could not have her document apostilled until she had it notarized in the Bronx. But then, of course, it was probably another type of document. I'm so focused on this citizenship quest that I tend to forget that other types of documents also require apostilles.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

first 60 centre street. go to room 300 then walk to 123 william street 19th floor. each place takes about 20 minutes, the department of state might be 40 or more. you can get it all done in a day but keep in mind that county clerk closes around 3:00 or so.