another translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
carla370
Rookie
Rookie

another translation

Post by carla370 »

I am sorry to keep having to post items to be translated, but I still have not resolved the issue of my grandfather's half-brother. I really appreciate all that you board angels have done for me so far.

My grandfather's birth records are nowhere to be found. He resided in Spezzano Piccolo however that does not tell me where he and his sister were actually born. Thorough searches of Cozenza records online and in microfilm have been unproductive for both kids. Neither of the kids died in Italy, they came to Canada so the State will not have death records on them.

Anyway I have been searching for information on grandfather's half-family and came across this lengthy matrimony record. I believe it may be relative to my research.

My grandfather was Pietro DeCicco. His father was Francesco DeCicco. I know that Francesco was married to Maria Porco however she died young and left two small children, my grandfather Pietro and great aunt Michelina.

After the death of my great grandmother I know ggf Francesco got remarried because there is a half-sibling in the family, Antonio.

I wonder if the enclosed document of Matrimony between Francesco DeCicco and this person Luisa Greco might suggest anything to support this?

Francesco DeCicco and Luisa Greco

As always many thanks and deep appreciation for the translation.

Carla
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: another translation

Post by Tessa78 »

Looks like the Francesco DeCicco in this record was born in Cerchiara di Calabria, and resided in Spezzano Piccolo...

Address of Town Hall:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Caputi
87070 Cerchiara di Calabria (CS)
ITALY

T.
carla370
Rookie
Rookie

Post by carla370 »

Tessa a few questions please

Date of the document?

Is there anything in the document that identifies *this* Francesco DeCicco as the same person? I am looking for Francesco b 1857

Does anything indicate Francesco is a widow, or has children? Or making this his second marriage?

What is the relationship of the person named Michelina Grande?

Thanks!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Carla

I only looked at the document for a place of birth. However, I did not see an age for Francesco, so I couldn't tell you his date of birth. The date of the document seems to be 1901.

Don't see anything that indicates Francesco as a widower.

Michelina Grande looks to be the mother of Francesco (along with father Domenico)...
BOTH parents are deceased, and lived in Spezzano Piccolo during their lives.

T.
carla370
Rookie
Rookie

Post by carla370 »

If it lists Francesco's parents as Domenico and Michelina Grande then that is the correct Francesco although his first wife Maria Porco died in 1901. Would this have been a suitable length of mourning? Getting married the same year?

Can you tell Luisa's parent's names?

Thank you
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

T
Francesco's age is given in the record, but it appears in number and not word form. After it says he was a resident in Spezzano Piccolo, it says di eta anni and then there is a number -44 or 46.
The bride was born in the town of Celico and was a resident there. She was the daughter of deceased Francesco and deceased Maria Falcone. Having trouble reading her age
Peg
carla370
Rookie
Rookie

Post by carla370 »

Peg yes now that you mention the age I can see it, it says 44. Awesome :-) I am excited, now I am sure I found the correct Francesco

Carla
carla370
Rookie
Rookie

Post by carla370 »

According to the Portale website she was born 1865 which would be about right, age-wise. On these records it shows Maria Zaccone has her mother. On the written document it reads Falcone, no accounting for the difference.

I am using a new webhost thru partnership with Picasa and Google it allows for large magnification on images, which I think is very helpful.

Thanks again
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The document is dated November 22, 1901 and it is the request for marriage banns. The banns were posted from Nov 24 to Dec 5.
carla370
Rookie
Rookie

Post by carla370 »

Thanks Livio.

Can anyone tell me why it's so long? All the other Marriage Banns are much shorter with a lot less writing, usually nothing more than Groom, his parents and their places of residence and Bride, her parents and place of residence, then the witnesses. Is there something I need to address?

Thanks

Carla
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The marriage was being celebrated in Colico where the bride resides, but the banns must be posted also in the town where the groom resides. This is the request by Colico to post the banns also in Spezzano Piccolo. Translation follows:

"On Nov 22 1901, I, Cav. Eugenio Gallo, major and vital record officer of the Comune of Spezzano Piccolo, received the following request: Colico, Nov 21 1901, Province of Cosenza, Comune of Colico - Subject - Request to post the marriage banns for Francesco De Cicco and Luisa Greco. The vital record officer of the Comune di Colico requests to post the banns of the marriage of Mister Francesco De Cicco, occupation peasant farmer, born in Colico di Calabria, residing in Spezzano Piccolo, aged 44, son of the deceased Domenico, occupation peasant farmer, residing, when alive, in Spezzano Piccolo and of the deceased Michelina Grande, occupation peasant farmer, residing, when alive here, and Mrs Luisa Greco, occupation peasant farmer, born in Colico, living in Colico, aged 36(?), daughter of the deceased Francesco, occupation peasant farmer, residing when alive in Colico and of the deceased Maria Falcone, occupation peasant farmer, residing when alive in Colico. These banns, according to the law, must be posted also in Spezzano Piccolo where the groom has his residence, therefore we ask the vital record officer to post the banns during the 2 consecutive Sundays following the day when this request will be delivered.
Very notable Mr vital record officer of the town of Spezzino Piccolo. Signed the official S. Marelli
I have therefore order to post the banns in this town hall and the authentic request was signed be me and inserted in the book of the attachments to this register.
Signed Gallo"
carla370
Rookie
Rookie

Post by carla370 »

Thanks Livio that explains it.

I find it interesting they referred to the bride as Mrs Luisa Greco. I suppose she was also a widow (?) and they referred to her in her maiden name without giving her deceased husband's name. I do not have film of Colico di Calabria but I believe I can order it. Online Portale records do not show any DeCicco or De Cicco births, Francesco's birth was recorded as being Spezzano Piccolo.

Thanks again sorry for so many questions.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

In Italy women always keep their maiden name.
It could be that Luisa Greco was a widow. To be certain you should find the marriage act, if she was a widow she should have presented her previous husband's death certificate.