Marriage record for Montemurro & Lauletta from Marsicove

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
fairhilleng
Rookie
Rookie

Marriage record for Montemurro & Lauletta from Marsicove

Post by fairhilleng »

I'm requesting help locating a Marriage (Matrimoni or Allegati) record for Vincenzo Montemurro b. 1858 and Teresa Lauletta b 1859. I believe they were married in 1880 based on a 1900 US Census in Baltimore, Maryland. Both were born in Marsicovetere (Potenza-Basilicata). Does anyone have access to the Marsicovetere (or nearby communities) marriage index for 1879-1881 that could look up my great great grandparents?
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Searching: Termini-Imerese : Mascari, Lazzaro, Cecala, Foppiano, Montemurro
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Marriage record for Montemurro & Lauletta from Marsi

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi :-)

I checked the marriage indexes in Marsicovetere from 1878 - 1883 and did not find your GGPs :-)

Are you sure they were married in Italy?

Edited: Found them listed in 1884! in Marsicovetere (Parte II)... :-)

T.
fairhilleng
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fairhilleng »

Thank you for your prompt search! Would you be able to share an image of what you found?
fairhilleng
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fairhilleng »

Thank you so much! This appears to be a matrimoni record (not just an index).
However, I can't read this image. I tried to save the file and zoom in without luck. ( or I could contact you with a pm for a direct email?)
Can you help me with the basic translation? Date of marriage, Parents names, where they were born etc.
Thank you again!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

fairhilleng wrote:Thank you so much! This appears to be a matrimoni record (not just an index).
However, I can't read this image. I tried to save the file and zoom in without luck. ( or I could contact you with a pm for a direct email?)
Can you help me with the basic translation? Date of marriage, Parents names, where they were born etc.
Thank you again!
Yes, when I found the index listing, I looked up the record :-)

The document is dated 10 July 1884 at the town hall of Mariscovetere
I have to study the document further, but here are the basics.
Vincenzo Montemurro was born in Marsicovetere 17 July 1858, son of deceased Giovanni and of Maria Rosa Ramagnano (sp?)
Teresa Lauretta was born 29 December 1859, daughter of Giuseppe and of Caterina Briglia (not sure if she is deceased)

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

This record looks like it was recorded on the date above in Marsicovetere, but the marriage may have taken place in 1879 in "Tolosa, Repubblica Francese".

Date of marriage may have been 1 September 1879, #643.

I looked in the marriages for 1879 in Marsicovetere, and did not find it there...

T.
fairhilleng
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fairhilleng »

I'm so happy to hear that. This really fits well with my family stories. I understood that they lived in Toulouse, France. (I wonder if Tolosa is the same place?) Their first two children were also born in France: Giovanni c. Oct 1881 and Rosa c. Sept 1882. They emmigrated from France in Nov 1885 and settled in Baltimore, Maryland, USA. Do you think that the children's birth records would also have been copied within the Marsicovetere civil records?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

That's a possibility... I'll take a look :-)

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Checked the birth records (Parte I and Parte II) for 1881, 1882, 1883, and 1884, but have not found Giovanni or Rosa :-)

T.
fairhilleng
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fairhilleng »

Thank you for searching for other birth records. I see many other dates listed within the second page of the marriage document - 1879, 1882, 1883. However, I'm not able to translate what they are referencing. Any additional translation would be appreciated. :D
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I looked those over thinking they may have related to the children, but they seem to refer to documentation dates of the marriage, and the copies of the record, and the official appointment of the official (French).

What I did get from reviewing the record a few times was that the couple seems to have married in the Marengo Quarter of Toulouse. Maybe that will help you narrow the search in France. Maybe the children were born in that area, too.

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Great job T great researching goes to show you to many people take the census for accurate date info and it messes there info up. Prego T
Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

:wink:

T.